I have found the part of the York planer I dislike, its how you adjust the top head assembly to parallel the bottom, it's done by adjusting a chain that runs around sprockets that attach to each post that the head sits on.

The adjustment is done by removing the chain from the sprocket then turning the sprocket till that corner of the head is true to the rest of the head....easier said than done, there isn't enough room to remove the chain and turn the sprocket, then replace chain, it seems there is just barely enough room to get the chain off and getting it back on is a batch..

I have managed to get the head level width wise, but from front to back I still have .03" difference.
I wondering if this is close enough for front to back clearances?

If not, I'm seriously considering attacking the chassis with a die grinder and notching it about a 1/8 of an inch so the chain comes on and off easier, but I'd rather not..

Also is there a general set of specs to look for, like maybe .003 on the jointer beds and fence?

Also how long a straight edge would you think will work, the Jointer has a 72" bed if I remember right?
Any reccomendations for a reasonable straight edge?

tia

Al