Thread: suggested width of aprons for small table

suggested width of aprons for small table

I am making a small "hall type" Shaker style table with tapered legs (1 1/2" square). The top is 15" deep x 36" long. The legs are 30" high.
    I made the aprons 2 1/2" wide and the table seems a little "wobbly" using clamps a dry fit. My wife is going to use this as a "simple" vanity table. She "challenged" me to come up with something quick before she went out and bought something brand new.
    Question: If I increase the width of the side and back aprons, will that add a "tad bit" of stability to the legs? The taper starts 6-7" down from the top of the legs.

Scott,
    2 1/2 seems a little large to me for a table that size. What method of leg attachment did you choose, and are they snug or loose fitting?

The size of the apron depends somewhat on the design, particularly how much overhang the top will have. 2-1/2 seems about right to me and should certainly give enough support if the joints are tight.

4. I'm in the process of building a small table that is 26" tall, with a top that is 16" square. The legs are 1-1/2" square with a taper and the aprons are 3-1/2"X12".

One suggestion would be that you increase the width of the aprons and cut a gentle arch. That would give you the added stability you want without the bulky look of oversized aprons. The only problem is that that might not fit in with the motif. I'm not sure if any Shaker furniture incorporates arches.

I would not think that 3 1/2" wide aprons would be too large for the piece, if it looks right to you. In place of an arch, you could add a 1/8" groove 3/8" to 1/2" up from the edge, across the bottom of the apron, to break the look of the width.
    Regards,
    Dick

Width of aprons

Thank you for all your responses.
    I chose "regular" mortise & tenon (not loose), but they are not as tight fitting as I would like. I think I will remake the side aprons and see if I can them a little tighter.. I am not "too concerned" with keeping to the "strict" Shaker style. Just chose it because it was easy. I like the idea of an arch. I will probably make the side and back aprons 3 1/2" and the keep the front apron at 2 1/2" (This should allow her to sit at it comfortably). Again this is for her to use as a "mini make-up vanity". Not going to be displayed in the Smithsonian, that I can imagine.
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 07-05-2006 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D Johnson
    Thank you for all your responses.
    I chose "regular" mortise & tenon (not loose), but they are not as tight fitting as I would like. I think I will remake the side aprons and see if I can them a little tighter.. I am not "too concerned" with keeping to the "strict" Shaker style. Just chose it because it was easy. I like the idea of an arch. I will probably make the side and back aprons 3 1/2" and the keep the front apron at 2 1/2" (This should allow her to sit at it comfortably). Again this is for her to use as a "mini make-up vanity". Not going to be displayed in the Smithsonian, that I can imagine.
    With a 30 inch high table (desk height) I often include a drawer that is 3 1/2 inches high, so no problem with sitting at it. I would worry about the aprons being different height at sides and front... I expect it would look funny.

Don't count on glue to fill the gaps in your tenons, but you can get nearly full strength if you cut a wood shim and glue that to the tenon, making the shimmed tenon snug.

That table won't have much 'heft' to it...so it may 'feel' wobbly even if it's not.