Thread: Reeves drive upgrade

Reeves drive upgrade

I have a vintage, 1991 model, Delta 1242. I don't know what the model number is. I have to get the owners manual from the previous owner.

I was looking in the latest Craft Supplies catalog and saw a DC Variable Speed Control System. I am looking to replace the Reeves drive that is currently on the lathe and am wondering if anyone out there can give me any info on this particular system. Or any other system that might work.

I must tell you all that I am seriously mechanically and electronically impaired so simple is what is needed. I figure that a couple hundred dollars to upgrade my Delta is more economically feasible than spend a couple grand on a new machine. Actually, I'm very happy with this ol' green monster except for the fact that the drive is noisy and I have real hard time keeping the speed where I set it. No matter how many times I tweak the drive handle.

Any info that any of you can provide will be tremendously appreciated. I did a search on this subject and couldn't find anything. Probably didn't set up my search criteria right.

TIA.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Hey Blake
    can you post a link to the motor your talking about. I am looking to do the same thing to HF.
    Tony Sizemore

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

-Robert Kennedy

Tony,
    It's from Craft Supplies,
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=186-1120.

I just check the link and it works.

I'm going to give them a call some time and ask them if it will work, and what else I'd need.

Good luck.

Seven hundred dollars for a motor? Excuse me while I go faint.

I would recommend using an AC Variable Frequency Drive. I have a nice 3 hp on my lathe it is real nice. You can probably do it all for less than $600 if you take a look at a company called Automation Direct

lou

Thanks Lou, I'll give it a look. I may just save up my pennies for a mustard lathe.

None of my business how you spend your money.... but there are motor controller combo's on Ebay for MUCH less! I bought a DC motor and controller (had to mount it in a box and wire it) for less than $250.

Blake,
    I noticed surpluscenter.com has 1.25HP Leeson DC motors and controllers for under $300. They have a good rep from what I've heard...I've been looking at it as a possible future upgrade to my Delta 1440.

Hope this helps,
    Dick

Having been in the variable speed business for many many years in a previous life I can honestly say that when you buy Minarik products remember there company slogan. "You can buy better but you can't pay more". Like others have said shop around. The cost of AC motors and inverters make this a poor choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Having been in the variable speed business for many many years in a previous life I can honestly say that when you buy Minarik products remember there company slogan. "You can buy better but you can't pay more". Like others have said shop around. The cost of AC motors and inverters make this a poor choice.
    I would agree with don, and add that I have been a DC guy for many years, but over the past few years the VFD's have really come a long way and well worth the $$.

lou

I upgraded the Nova 3000 to 3-Phase with a Teco/Westinghouse controller about a year ago. I had previously upgraded another lathe to a DC motor and was just not happy with the torque loss at low speeds so when I did the Nova I went to AC as it was my understanding the loss was much less. The controller I ended up with even has a torque compensator so when it stars to bog down the controller see it and compensates. The motor and controller ended up costing me 355.63 with shipping and it was all brand new product not refurbished and had a warranty. The company was nice also as they answered a few dumb hookup questions for me without issue.

I purchased mine from http://www.dealerselectric.com and they usaly have package deals (motor and controller) on the home page. Anyway I was happy with them and would use them again.

Ken

Let's add the fact that you'll have to change the Reeves drive to a step pulley system so you'll have some low end torque and some high end speed. Most of the time modifing a low end lathe will not net you a high end lathe, my .02.

Thanks everyone for your time and information. What I get out of most of this is to buy what I want rather than refurbish. That's probably what I'll do. I was mainly just curious to see if what I was thinking about had any merit.

Keep it safe.