Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATTENTION: Possible Downtime (Resolved)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Maybe this is just a blessing in disguise. If the site goes down for 3 days it means I can go fishing for 3 days without having to perform any moderating. .
    Ken !! Get that fishin' rod and GO FISHIN' ...... We promise we will behave !!
    Tony

UPDATE:

Well, the DNS change went well yesterday. I decided to have SawmillCreek listen on both addresses temporarily. Most people won't notice

Mail is fixed.. I'm sure most of you realize that by now.

Rant:
    Yes, Cox's NOC was pitiful. They goofed up in the first place, then they goofed up while executing my request to fix their first goof up. THEN, they goofed up yet again, while making the a change to fix their THIRD screw up.

For those interested, the problem all started when Cox assigned our IP addresses to other clients, through an accounting error of theirs. (We wanted an additional IP address a few months ago, and rather than give us a single additional IP address, they wanted to reassign ALL of our IP addresses to give us a contiguous block of IPs, which decided we didn't want. So, no change was supposed to go into effect, though they registered the new changes on our account.) The mail problems started when the other clients brought up their equipment higher upstream than our server with our IPs. Mail stopped because our server couldn't initiate any outgoing connections (only respond to incoming connections, like web traffic). Of course, Cox stupidly still had their DNS pointed at the old IP addresses, which they subsequently assigned to someone else. (So, they were still directing all of our traffic at someone else's equipment..)

So, I mitigated the problem by serving on both IPs, which means that nobody should know the difference. Cookies and passwords are maintained, so long as you used sawmillcreek.org when you visited, rather than typing in an IP address. Now that DNS has propagated, I'll take down the listener for the old IP address.

To complicate issues, they updated two of our domains (northwindassociates.com and freedompens.org) to the new IP addresses, and FORGOT to update SawmillCreek.

So THEN, I called back and had them update SawmillCreek, but they had forgotten to update the CNAME entries for www and mail.

so THEN, once they updated SawmillCreek, I had to call back yet again because they assigned FreedomPens.org's MX records to NorthwindAssociates IP, so when you visited Freedom Pens you got Nortwind. Grr. To make a long story even longer, they deleted the second MX record for Northwind so it would no longer trump FreedomPens. All is well for now..

Anyway, this is why we always used to run our own DNS. Oh well, fortunately, these things (DNS changes) are few and far between.
    End Rant
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Well, I for one, am real pleased and happy that we have someone with your expertise at the helm!!! Thanks for all you do, Aaron and I realize you're trying to squeeze our needs in between a busy "real" full-time work schedule, personal needs and taking care of your sweetie! (Or is she the real full-time "occupation"???? )

In any event, I hope you, Jackie and Keith demand some sort of reimbursement or credit from Cox for all this additional time load and inconvenience. We live out in the country, where cable or DSL has not reached us but, if Cox were to come out this way, I have my doubts if I would hook up with them!!! (I'm still holding out for the Internet connection coming via power lines!!! ) Thanks again for all you guys do for us!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks to all of you for getting the Creek flowing again!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Thanks to all for getting us back in operating form...Appreciate your efforts
    Jerry

Thanks for the update, Aaron.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Aaron,
    Thanks for all of your efforts to keep the Creek running. I really appreciate having the Creek as a resource and really, really appreciate all the work you, Jackie and Keith put in to keep it available.

Thanks for the update,

Wes

Thanks to the THREE of you for your Hard Work, and Perseverance to make it work. One Question........Since I "FORGOT" to log out (Like you instructed us to do),.......do I still need to do that, or will everything still work if I just keep pressing on, as is???????

Thanks again...........Norm
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Just goes to show ALL OF US what a wonderful job YOU FOLKS do for us and THE CREEK.

A GREAT BIG "WELL DONE."

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Well, I for one, am real pleased and happy that we have someone with your expertise at the helm!!!

Amen to that!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'll say it again.........

Thanks Aaron, Jackie and Keith for all you do to make this place what it is! I'll never be able to repay you for what you've created here and how well you maintain it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Maybe this is just a blessing in disguise. If the site goes down for 3 days it means I can go fishing for 3 days without having to perform any moderating. .
    Ken, why don't you go fishin' anyways?! Darn tootin' you've both earned and deserved it! Oh, and have ONE on me!

Thanks, Aaron, as always, for a job well done there behind the scenes.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    Thanks to the THREE of you for your Hard Work, and Perseverance to make it work. One Question........Since I "FORGOT" to log out (Like you instructed us to do),.......do I still need to do that, or will everything still work if I just keep pressing on, as is???????

Thanks again...........Norm
    If it ain't broke...
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Value

Man, I hope the administrative staff at SMC never wants to be paid what they're actually worth. Great Job!. I thought aviation had a lot of acronyms and abbreviations.

Curt