Thread: Ah Chucks

Ah Chucks

Hi Gang,
    I am wanting to get a chuck for my Delta 14" lathe. What should I look for in a chuck? What accessories do I need with it?
    Rank amature would be a great description of me...so all input is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

"ChucK".... hehe

A search will get you two days reading worth of previously posted opinions. Here is one: avoid the large three-jawed chucks. They are designed for machine tool work and will not hold wood true or sometimes at all.

Ah Chucks Search

Frank,
    I did a search.....I found odds and ends here and there......an search specifics I should use?

Thanks
    Chuck

I use a Oneway scroll chuck on my Rikon. You'll also need an adapter to make it screw onto you spindle. Mine was a 1"x 8tpi. I think your is the same. Mine works great.

I use a ONEWAY and a VERSA chuck ( almost identical to the AXMINSTER chuck ). I don't know, if these two are available in the US. The Versa chucks comes with 3 different mounting jaws for 3 different makes of jaws ( including Oneway ). One set of standard jaws is included. Depending on the kind of work you intend to do, I would recommend a second set of jaws. Either for large stuff or preferably a small set for small work. If you use a recess to chuck a blank a ca. 25 mm set is a good choice.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Horst

I use a SuperNova scroll chuck I like it but it is the first one I have had so I can not compare it to others. I was looking for one hand chuck operation and interchangeable Jaws. The main reason I bought the supernova was that my father has one too and I can borrow jaw sets from him.
    . I don't think you could go wrong with the Oneway, SuperNova or the Versa.

I have the SuperNova chuck and have a LOT of bowl turning on it. It's been a good one. The SuperNova or a Oneway are very good chucks from my experiences.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Buy a quality chuck with easily available jaw sizes. Oneway and SuperNova are two that I have used and liked, but I am sure there are others. Just don't go cheap or you will likely regret it later for some reason.

I'd recpmmend staying away from the PSI Barracuda. The jaws don't always line up from what I've been told. Some guys have had to send them back 4 times before they get one worth trying to use. Myself, I have a Oneway Talon with numerous different jaws.

Brian

VicMarc 5 1/2" inch -- I like the jaws better than Oneway, used to be cheaper but with new exchange rates it's the same price. You could get away with a 3 1/2" chuck, but if you love turning and it sucks you into the vortex and you get a bigger lathe, the 5 1/2" will work on that one too.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Ok....next

Hi Gang,
    Thank you all for your input and feed back....Nova and Oneway seem to be the front runners....but what does one look for in a chuck? What are the features I should look for? Accessories?
    Remember I am a complete newbie, ( think of me as a blank canvas ). What I DO know is that a chuck of SOME SORT is necessary. What I DON'T know, ( and that is a lot) is what to look for.

Thanks

Chuck ( hehe, no pun intended )

At the very least, Chuck, you will need something with interchangeable jaws, is self centering, and allows for both tenon and recess, while accepting a dovetail in either.

An added bonus is the use of inserts: you can purchase a new insert when you upgrade lathes and the spindle size/pitch is different rather than having to buy a new chuck.

Also, having used a tommy-bar chuck, I would heartily recommend acquiring a chuck with key-based operation. This allows you to use only one hand to compress/expand the chuck jaws.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm a relative newbie as well.

Good luck!
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Henry,
    Thank you for the reply. Could you expound a bit on "inserts" ?

Thank you
    Chuck

the insert he is refering to is the adapter that makes the chuck fit onto your lathe some lates like mine use a 1" x 8 Thread per inch on the head stock other use 3/4" x 16 TPI still other use 1 1/4" x 8 TPI .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Burke
    Frank,
    I did a search.....I found odds and ends here and there......an search specifics I should use?

Thanks
    Chuck
    I wasn't very helpful. I belong to several (too many) discussion lists. This is a common question.
    I can only add my experience. The large, three jaw affairs for wood are asking for trouble. I have a PSI GMC3 Mini. It is a fine chuck within it's size limitations. Price is excellent, especially considering it come with three sets of jaws. Others will say get only the high priced brands. Some will say only get the key styles. I have found the tommy bars (takes two hands) to be a very minor inconvenience.