Thread: Bosch 4000-09 Table Saw

Bosch 4000-09 Table Saw

Hello, still new to the world of woodworking (and the creek) and its already taking on a world all its own. I purchased a low cost table saw to start out with and have since purchased some higher quality tools and I can tell the differance. I had a recent kickback incident with my table saw and Im looking into the Bosch for a couple reasons. One I have read that it comes with a riving knife which I have been told reduces kickback, two the fact that it can be broken down and tucked away, as I still use my 2 car garage as my shop and I need to be able to still park cars in there. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this saw good or bad or if there are other suggestions for a saw meeting my requirements. I would like to keep it around the $550 price range of the Bosch though. Im still new to this and price and justification to the wife play a big part.

Thanks for any input
    Sam

Welcome to the creek Sam. I wish I could help you with the answer to your question but I have'nt used that saw. You might try posting the post on the General tools and woodworking forum. since thats where most folks post and this is a tool question. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Orr
    Hello, still new to the world of woodworking (and the creek) and its already taking on a world all its own. I purchased a low cost table saw to start out with and have since purchased some higher quality tools and I can tell the differance. I had a recent kickback incident with my table saw and Im looking into the Bosch for a couple reasons. One I have read that it comes with a riving knife which I have been told reduces kickback, two the fact that it can be broken down and tucked away, as I still use my 2 car garage as my shop and I need to be able to still park cars in there. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this saw good or bad or if there are other suggestions for a saw meeting my requirements. I would like to keep it around the $550 price range of the Bosch though. Im still new to this and price and justification to the wife play a big part.

Thanks for any input
    Sam
    If you are interested in a NIB 4000-09 (I believe the 09 is the one w/ the stand) for a very good deal... let me know. I don't know where you are located, so shipping may be prohibitive. It would be from 19403. If so.. we can speak move via PM.

Bosch saw

Sam:

I recenlty purchased the Bosch 10" table saw with the gravity rise stand.

My neighbor bought one a year or two ago and bought the fixed base stand. His garage is clutteered with evertning. He went out and bought the red folding stand.

But when he saw the gravity rise stand he was blown away.

It has a riving knike on it and it has two kickbacks pawls on either side ogf the knife.

All adjustments are very smooth. I highly recommend this saw.

Mine has a dustbag on it and I thionk that came with the asw

I also bought at teh same time, the side extension and the rear feed extension and a couple of zero clearance inserts.

Once you but the asw,, you can see what accessories you can add on later.

Lowest price you will find will be on Amazon.

Once you buy the saw at Amazon, they usually send you a 10% discount coupon for future puchases, i.e. the extensions and the inserts.

The saw is rather large for one person to lift , so the gravity rside stand is well worth the money.

The saw is more or less all put together, but the gravity rise stand will take about 45 minutes to put together.
    God made money so we can go out and buy more tools!

Hi Sam and welcome to SMC. I've heard of lots of people who really like the Bosch for a jobsite saw, but I'm unaware of it having a true riving knife. It's more likely that it has a splitter....a riving knife goes up and down when the blade is raised and lowered...a splitter stays at a fixed height.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Orr
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this saw good or bad or if there are other suggestions for a saw meeting my requirements. I would like to keep it around the $550 price range of the Bosch though. Im still new to this and price and justification to the wife play a big part.
    I have that saw and have been real happy with it. Mine came with the folding stand and the outfeed extension as well as the left side extension. It has plenty of power, little vibration, and great fence, along with half decent dust collection using the vac connector. I really like the soft start and I think it's a quiet running saw. It's a good saw and I have no regrets with my purchase. Mine stays setup and is on a HTC 2000 roll around stand, but it still stores nicely over in a corner. I think the gravity rise stand would be a good addition for use in a small shop. I've gone the EZ Smart route so I don't use it much these days, but I'll never be without it and consider it a permanent part of my shop.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    Hi Sam and welcome to SMC. I've heard of lots of people who really like the Bosch for a jobsite saw, but I'm unaware of it having a true riving knife. It's more likely that it has a splitter....a riving knife goes up and down when the blade is raised and lowered...a splitter stays at a fixed height.
    Yep, it does have a true riving knife setup. One can use the splitter that does in fact go up and down with the blade, or a seperate riving knife. Very nice feature!
    Don

sam, i have one of these for installs, it`s nothing to write home about. any saw that i can carry around a jobsite will be underpowered. that said it has performed as well as a lunchbox saw can be expected to. it`s probably the best saw of this type on the market, i`ve driven the makita, delta and dewalt and the bosch is a far better saw..........but it ain`t a tablesaw, or even a contractors saw. if you`re going to be dragging it up stairs and over rough terain go for it. if you`re going to use a saw in a shop type enviornment look toward a contractors saw or a used cabinet saw in your price range.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I recently purchased the Bosch 4000-09. This is one great table table. I tested saw by cutting a piece of plywood then flipped that piece over and cut the other side. The plywood was exactly the same width, top to bottom. One thing I learned when playing around with the rip fence tension screw on the back is don't tighten it too much. Tighten it just enough to keep the fence secure when you lock the handle down. If you overtighten the fence it will not align square when you lock the handle. I've been very happy with this saw. Great quality.

Thanks to all that have replied. This day and age you can research quite a bit on the net but its also great to hear from people that use them or have them. Now if I could only work on getting a larger shop than a 2 car garage....