Thread: right-handed left-tilting tenon jig and miter sled???

Question right-handed left-tilting tenon jig and miter sled???

I just set up my new Grizzly 1023SL Left-tilting table saw. The garage has been about 104 degrees lately so I just work a few minutes each morning before I leave for work.

I am setting up the Grizzle Tenon Jig and an Incra miter sled 5000. Both of these are designed for right-tilting saws but have set-up options for left tilting saws.

My problem is that I am right-handed and I stand to the left of the wood as I feed it through the saw. The changes for left-tilting saws involve going to the right of the blade. The stop switch is on the left and I am trying to take safety procedures seriously.

Should I keep the standard set-ups for the Tenon Jig and Miter Sled and only use them with the blade set at 90 degrees, or use the alternate set-up, become ambidextrous, and learn to turn off the saw in emergencies with my left big toe?

Brian

Move the switch...........

Ok

But then I have to turn it off with my right big toe when making rip cuts from the left. Since I'm right handed, maybe I am right footed too.

I'm right handed, have a left tilt saw, and have always stood on the right side of the blade for this type operation, and it feels natural to me. If you're worried about turning off the saw, make a hinged "bump Bar" to turn the switch off from anywhere along the front side of the saw with your knee.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

brian, if your saw has a mag switch you can install "kill" switches as many places as you`d like. they`re really simple to wire and not very expensive...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Maybe right is right

OK, so I'll go for working from the right hand side of the left-tilting blade. I'll look for a design for a bump bar or auxiliary kill swith. If anyone has a picture of how you built this or a site where you bought one, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Brian,

I have a left tilt Uni and a few weeks ago I purchased the Grizzly tenon jig and converted it from right tilt to left tilt. When you use it you are still standing to the left of the blade so the on/off switch is right where that you want it -- on the left side. You use the left slot to work the jig with. The only thing that the conversion does is move the jig to the correct distance from the blade so that you have the full capacity of the jig to work with.

If this is not clear let me know and I will post a couple of photos showing where it sits for the left tilt and where it would have been is not converted.

Try it you will like it. The jig is great if you have a lot of tenons to cut.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 07-18-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Tenon jig works

OK, you are right. The tenon jig is set up according to instructions and indeed it is still on the left. Thank you.

Brian