Thread: Arts and Craft Library System - detail tips

Arts and Craft Library System - detail tips

Hi everyone,

I am writing an estimate for a customer that would like 24 feet of library cabinets (broken up around windows and doors) with an arts and crafts feel. They will be 7 feet tall.

The system will be all shelves and only a couple of doors. I am looking to enhance the trim that meets the ceiling with a little arts and crafts details...like maybe some ebonized plugs or something. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You might check out a new book called Arts & Crafts Furniture, written by Kevin Rodel and Jonathan Binzen, published by Taunton Press. Today's world tends to compress Arts&Crafts down to just Mission, but it really was much broader, and this book has photos about the entire range.

Gail

You might look at Finewoodworking.com - it's a good resource with a lot of their magazine articles available as PDF's. it's a paid service, but you can try it by the month, or if you subscribe to the magazine get it annually for under $20 as I recall.

i searched for Arts & Crafts details and came up with a number of good articles - dealing with furniture, built-ins, Greene & Greene, Frank Lloyd Wright and others. Lots of design and detail inspiration for you.

You didn't say if the built-ins are QS Oak or another material or whether it was painted or natural - materials and finish would also affect the details you might choose to include.

Sounds like a fun project - Good Luck -

Neil

Thanks for the info, I am going to go to the library also and check out the books there. I have something in mind, and think I will know it when I see it. I will also check out old FWW's...I have a bunch here.

Thanks!

5. Dentil moulding is often used at the top of Mission or A&C pieces. This is a bit too ornate, but the dentil part are the little squares of wood you see here ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks frank, I hadn't thought of dentil - they are transferring a victorian into a craftsman so it may be an interesting twist.

I really like what this guy does. I use his page as inspiration for a lot of projects. www.furnituremaker.com I am not sure but I think that he posts here sometimes. Peter

I bought Darrel's book. It is excellent.