Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunno Wood Bowl

Dunno Wood Bowl

OK, since there haven't been any recent projects posted for everyone to point at and laugh, I figured I'd offer this one up. It's my first bowl, and it's got plenty of things that can be improved on with the next one. There are tearout blemishes and scratches that I didn't notice until I brought it in from the the shop, but I think I might leave the bowl as-is as a reminder.

First Bowl 1 800 LR.jpg

This bowl is about 3 3/4" x 1 1/4", made of some curbside tree trimmings. It doesn't show well in the pics, but the wall and bottom thickness ranges from 0" to about 1/4". I can't tell for certain, but I think it's either Dunno or Heckifiknow wood, sapwood and all. I rough turned it green a few weeks ago on my little Wilton lathe, gave it a DNA bath, let it dry, then finished it on my new (to me) 15" Sears lathe last night and tonight.
    First Bowl 2 800 LR.jpg

In addition to being my first bowl (not counting a faceplate turning I did in high school), it's my first use of a 4-jaw chuck, donut chuck and jam chuck, and the first time I've tried the DNA drying procedure. The little sucker sure warped a lot drying, but fortunately I left enough thickness in the rough stage to still be able to find a round object in the middle of it. At this point there's no finish; it's just sanded down through all the Micromesh grits. (Another first.) Because of the blemishes, I haven't decided if I want to put a finish on it or just wax and buff it.

Now that I've gone through the process, I need to revisit Bill Grumbine's video, so I can try to improve on the bigger one that's soaking in DNA as I type this.

Suggestions and comments are welcome, as always. And pointing and laughing is also allowed. With all the other new turners around here making such great-looking stuff, somebody has to turn out the lower-quality "new guy" level of projects. It's OK, I'll take one for the team.

- Vaughn

Blog Entries
    Hey Vaughn, If this is an example of 'newby' work, I'll settle for it coming off my own lathe. I don't see anything to critisize, in fact I really like the dunno/heckifiknow wood looks pretty good to me. Amazing what something that someone throws away can hold inside isn't it. If it were me I think I would put some Watco on it and hit it with some fine sandpaper while its wet like Bill suggested and then let it dry. That might help with some of the flaws that you see. All in all I like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Vaughn, no laughing here. You have a great form on this bowl. Wish my first one looked half that good.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Uh..........Vaughn..........I know you're busy but you really should look at some old threads of other turner's first bowls! You did quite well my friend! Nice Heckifiknow bowl! Tearout....that's a toughy! Revisit Bill's video..practice and use a lot of the 60 and 80 grit gouges!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

5. Looks like you are getting the hang of it, fun eh

That sure looks like Elm to me......

Cheers!

As noble as the sentiment is [ taking one for the team], I will have to deny you the pleasure. This does not qualify. Great looking bowl, found wood or no......Finish it and keep it... And get on with some MORE! doug

Looks pretty good to me Vaughn, nice job!

corey

Nice job Vaughn. My vote would be poplar from the looks of it but I've been fooled before.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Vaughn, I think you've done a wonderful job, first bowl or no. My first bowl was the spalted maple NE I did for the NE contest/thread---I couldn't figure out a good way to jam-chuck so the tenon's still on there. It's currently in use as a spent match container.

Seriously, though, I'd say go ahead and finish the bowl. If you're pleased with the results, go with a finish you know you'll be pleased with. Otherwise, try a new finishing technique on it and see what happens.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Nice job, Vaughn! The first one is such a pleasure to have completed. It's kind of a "now I know I can do this" feeling--at least it was that for me. I have no doubt you'll be sharing many more turnings, and I look forward to seeing them!!!
    Mark

It's a keeper, for sure.

Here's an "out there" suggestion - saw it in half and finish just one of the halves. Use the difference between the two for a comparative learning experience.

Well done, though Vaughn. Be proud.
    Only the Blue Roads

Vaughn I have to tell you I wish my first bowl looked that good. You should be proud of that one. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Here's an "out there" suggestion - saw it in half and finish just one of the halves. Use the difference between the two for a comparative learning experience.
    That's a pretty neat idea. I could imagine putting masking tape over the edge of the half to be finished, and gluing the bowl back together afterwards. Hmmm....

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I like the idea of finishing half of it, but this morning when I showed it to my new MIL, she clutched it to her chest like a 2-year-old with a look in her eyes that said "mine". Since I have to live in the same house with her, I suspect I'd better not be cutting the bowl in half. I'll keep the idea in mind for the future, though.

On a semi-related note (plus, it's my thread and I'll jack it if I want to), MIL has posted a small sign in the kitchen that says "The opinions expressed by the Husband in this house are not necessarily those of the Management." I'm outvoted 2 to 1 in nearly everything around here, but I hold the trump card...I'm the only one here who can cook.

- Vaughn

15. That is a great dunno wood bowl. Vaughn, your creativity even comes through in your turnings. Turning should suit you well as it allows you to create something beautiful quickly right before your eyes. Nice first bowl!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.