Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary sharp abrasives starter kit?

Scary sharp abrasives starter kit?

I'm taking the plunge and trying scary sharp for regular chisel and plane work. I'll be buying the Veritas honing guide that seems to get rave reviews and getting some glass locally.

But what about paper? There seems to be a confusing variety of options out there. PSA vs. non-PSA. Sheets vs. rolls. The 3M industrial stuff vs. others. Lots of different grades.

From your experience, what would be a good starter kit of abrasives? PSA vs. non--why? What supplier seems to offer the best deals?

Thanks.

Scary Sharp,

For years I embraced this method, still do when out

in the field so to speak and need to get real sharp.

Since then we weighed the time, pros and cons and purchased the MK11 from lee valley.

Back to your original question.

From the same source... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...04&cat=1,43072

I took these papers, shot em with 3M #77 and stuck it to 3/8 plate glass.

Hope this helps.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

David, I sent you a PM with some information on it for your review.

Blog Entries
    Tools for Woodworking 'http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc' has a part# ST-MAF.FWWKit that includes the microabrasives that were used in the Fine Wood Working article regarding this system. I have that and use it as described in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37548

Very pleased with the result and the cost is minimal compared to the results.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by David Croteau
    I'm taking the plunge and trying scary sharp for regular chisel and plane work. I'll be buying the Veritas honing guide that seems to get rave reviews and getting some glass locally.

But what about paper? There seems to be a confusing variety of options out there. PSA vs. non-PSA. Sheets vs. rolls. The 3M industrial stuff vs. others. Lots of different grades.

From your experience, what would be a good starter kit of abrasives? PSA vs. non--why? What supplier seems to offer the best deals?

Thanks.
    Take a look a McFeely's - http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?pid=KSS-0301. I know they specialize in square headed screws, but they have a starter kit that includes a phenolic backer plate and a set of eight grits of PSA paper in rolls. You can get started for about $90. If you want you can buy additional phenolic plates for $15 each, or $13 each if you buy 3 or more. The only down-side is their grits max out at 1200. It seems to me to be the simplest method I and have always had excellent service from McFeely's. Of course it's hard to go wrong with anything from LV!
    Last edited by Jeremy Gibson; 07-13-2006 at 11:27 AM.
    Jeremy Gibson

I really appreciate it when folks tell us what they are talking about.
    Is "scary sharp" just a phrase or is it product?
    What is PSA used in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Frank,
    Scary sharp is a method of sharpening. You glue or tape various grit sand paper to a flat surface like glass and use it to sharpen your chisels, plane iron etc. I buy my sand paper from place that support automotive pain shop so I can get my sand paper grits to 10000 grit. It works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Frank, "Scary Sharp" is a technique/method of sharpening that involves using inexpensive tools/materials to obtain such a sharp edge that it's "Scary". It's a (very) real, albeit somewhat whimsical term.

I'm sure that someone here can post the FWW article for those that may not have been exposed to it in the past.

I can't figure out "PSA" either. Thanks for asking it Frank.

edit: I just looked at the LV website listed above and I think that "PSA" is some sort of adhesive backed version of a sheet abrasive. Can anyone refute or confirm this, please? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 07-13-2006 at 11:45 AM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Psa

If I am not mistaken, PSA stands for Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.

If I am wrong, it won't be the last

Dan

Sorry, Frank. I'm a newbie so usually I'm the one scratching my head and doing quick searches to figure out terms like "BLO" that everyone else already knows!

Yeah, PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) paper is "peel and stick." Convenient, I suppose, but significantly more expensive compared to the method Per mentions (spraying with an adhesive).

Thanks all. That helps.
    BTW (by the way) . BLO is an obscenity that can't be used here.

Blog Entries
    PSA - pressure Sensitive Adhesive, BLO - boiled linseed oil, YGIAGAM - Your guess is as good as mine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This is where I first learned of it.

http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

I used it for a while to very good result but found it to be a bit of a PITA (maybe I was doing something wrong). I have since replaced it with a Tormek as my shop time is very precious and I want to be able to restore an edge very quickly.

I believe that Kinngspor has a kit with the papers in various grits specifically intended for the SS system.

The Veritas jig mentioned above makes things much easier. It also allows you to set an angle very quickly.

mike dunbar made a GREAT video on sandpaper sharpening which explains exactly what grits you need and how to handle curved blades like turning gouges. rockler has a set which includes the plate glass, the honing jig and several grits, but you might want to buy the klingspor psa sandpaper once you've figured out what grits you need. scary sharp works well for me right now because i don't really sharpen that frequently, but i have noticed that pulling the psa sandpaper off the glass is a major pain and i hope to switch to waterstones in the future when time permits me to use hand tools more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson

From the same source... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...04&cat=1,43072

I took these papers, shot em with 3M #77 and stuck it to 3/8 plate glass.

Hope this helps.

Per
    This one had me really puzzled as I use the same 3 fine grit papers from LV but I couldn't figure out why you'd have to apply your own adhesive to stick them down. I went back to the LV page and looked closer. Look's like they've discontinued the 0.5u with PSA. Bummer - but glad I've still got some left and at least the other 2 grits are still available in PSA.

David - those 3 LV grits I stick down on the glass. All the other lower grits I just lay on the glass dry. As long as there aren't issues with the paper wanting to curl I haven't found it to be a problem. The chisel or plane iron holds it down well enough on it's own. I've used anything from 80g to 800g before switching to the LV stuff - depends on the nastiness of the chisel/iron as to how low I start. 180g drywall sanding screen works like a champ too for taking metal off quicker.
    Use the fence Luke