Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grizzly Baby drum sander G0459

Thanks Shiraz for the info.

Boy that's some beast of a motor looking at that spec.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Ok, feel free not to answer this question, but...
    Why on earth would this particular machine do that?
    Or is it due to some overall bump in supplier pricing?
    When we went to press with the 2006 catalog, the cost of this machine had not been finalized and there was an error, actually a rather big error in the cost calculation. Plus we changed some specs like putting a rubber conveyor belt - same type as used on large widebelt sanders etc... that increased the cost.
    It is not our habit to change prices once the catalog has been published (don't hold us to this statement as things have become really volatile in the raw materials area) and so we are "stuck" with the current selling price, to the benefit of the consumer. The change will come in 2007 for this and many other machines that have also gone up in cost during the year due to material price increases.

I was reluctant to answer this post because I have not extensively used my sander. I am still in the process of insulating and wiring my shop. But I did spend my money as soon as this product became available. I have not regretted my decision. I cannot afford one of the larger units and slow is good for me. It takes not much longer than running boards through my planer. Anything that keeps me from spending hours with a random orbit sander in my hands is great. The machine is not underpowered for my use. I like everything about this unit except the "guards' on each side of the belt. They are just flat pieces of of square sheet metal. I can see me losing some skin if they are not rounded off. I have assembled some larger panels after running through the sander and saved time there by only having to concentrate on the joints, and touching up the rest. So for what my opinion is worth, I LIKE MY BABY GRIZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Ya know, I know of a lot of tools that come in different sizes and power levels. And people seem to buy plenty of them so, they must be doing what they are designed to do and fullfilling the buyer's expectations. I am guessing that anyone buying the unit in question has a clue about that. While opinions can be interesting, and even helpful, I believe the question was about experience?
    chris,
    randy asked if anybody had seen or used one, i have seen the unit in question in the flesh.

shelley,
    how very observant about the advertising gotta wonder about the motivation?

bob,
    how would a person such as randy determine if this unit "suits his needs" short of plunking down the cash or asking for opinions?

ian,
    once again i agree wholeheartedly.

.02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Checked out the unit in person at Grizzleys saturday.
    Looks to be a well built unit.

Though I did spot something I did not like.
    even though it has velcro wrapped paper, only means of holding the paper on is tape. Both ends of the drum.

At least my 24" has a paper holder on the left side.
    Velcro does creep.
    I converted my 24 to velcro in or around 1994.

Just got a very nice review in "Wood" magazine. While it's not for me, just too small, it could be a great answer for many...

Any recent reviews?

Hi,

I'm considering grabbing one of these... anyone more reviews on this? Looking at using this to sand veneers (attached to substrate) so while I don't need capacity wider than 12 inches I need a consist thickness sanding.

-Charles

Are we sanding, or trying to surface plane now with a barrel sander????
    Gesss!!!!

What?

Thickness sanding with a drum sander.