Thread: Paper Weight

Paper Weight

This paper weight has the FSU theme with the Seminole and arrowheads. The wood is wild plum which is 4.75 inches wide and l.25 inches high. I used lacquer as a finish, and then buffed. Your critiques are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Very nice Glenn! I'm sure a Seminole fan or alumni will love it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glenn, that is Way Cool !!!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I think it looks real good Glenn. I can see that being done with family pictures as well.

Ernie

Blog Entries
    Cool idea Glenn, I'll bet John would like one of those with a Packer theme.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Nicely done, Glenn. Personally I think it would look better with a Gators theme...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Glenn that is awesome. That is just way to kewl. Nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful, Glenn. I would think that items like that would be lucrative in gift shops!
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

I love these Glen! Nice work.

Corey

10. Very neat work, Glenn! Somebody will love that!

That's too cool Glenn. How about a tutorial?

12. Very creative, Glenn. I think this has a great market potential!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great idea! I really like the look and concept. You've got yet another winner on your hands.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Thanks Travis, I turn this between centers and leave a tennon to attach it to a chuck. Then I finish turning it to the desired shape. I drilled an inch hole about .5 inch deep in the center, and 5 additional holes 1.25 inches in diameter .5 inches deep evenly spaced according to the positions as seen in the picture. I mix up enough casting epoxy with opaque color, I used white as you can see, to cover the bottom of one of the holes in which I will place one of the arrowheads. You must tilt the piece so it will be level as it drys. This is repeated until the bottom of each hole is covered with this colored epoxy. I used arrowheads because of the Seminole Indian relationship with FSU. I place one arrowhead in a hole, mix up a small amount of casting epoxy for that hole, pore it in until it is level with the top of the hole in the wood, making sure it is also level as it dries. This is repeated until each hole is filled with whatever and epoxy. The center hole was drilled to one inch because this is the diameter of the charm of the FSU Seminole. I then pore clear epoxy over the charm and let it cure. After all of the epoxy is cured I spray the epoxy with a spray which will make the top of the epoxy cure fast and not be sticky when I start to sand. When all the epoxy is cured I sand, but sometimes I must take a skew to level the holes where the epoxy did not fill the holes level, and then sand. After sanding to about 600 grit, I then buff, spray with lacquer, let it cure and then buff the lacquer again. Yep this process is time consuming, but I have not figured out another way to do it. If you made the top flat you would not have to worry about the epoxy in the holes drying at an angle. If you like this method I am sure you will be able to apply it to other ways to enhance your turnings. Let me know if I may be more helpful.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"