Thread: A friends project w/Pic

A friends project w/Pic

Fellow Creeker & my neighbor over the hill Jim McFall recently finished this great bookshelf. Why am I posting it you ask . . . because Jim is much better with his shopsmith than with a computer thats why

Here is Jim's description & a picture:
    I bought Birch plywood at HD only to find out why it was not all that expensive, voids you know.
    I made both of these at the same time and you may think that there is only one but honest, there are two.

SWMBO informed me that she was going to paint the parts you see painted, I then thought that the price of the plywood was fairly high to paint, could have gotten something cheaper maybe.

The face is birch from the saw mill I go to locally here in PA. The trim was purchased. (not sure I'll buy crown molding again anytime soon) The finish is just some min wax stain covered with several coats of wipe on poly. The glass shelves on the top were my idea after I discovered that the fence on my saw slides sometimes even after I lock it down. (ever turn a rabbit into a datto ?}
    Another thing I learned is that the sides are not to be cut exactly the same. They are really mirror images of each other (just a few more cuts to correct that oversite). I am happy with the final outcome and they look fairly good in the livingroom. Next a small table for my mom.
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Looks nice!

Tom, tell your friend to QUIT pointing out all his mistakes!

Todd

Jim wasn't pointing out his mistakes. He was braqging about is inate ability to make design changes on the fly to improve an already awsome project
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Blog Entries

Nice work.

The end result is what counts and it looks like a winner from here. I can fin errors in most every project I've made, sometimes several. If the piece does what was inteneded and looks good, the mistakes are soon forgotten, but the learning never is.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks to Tom

Tom, thanks for putting the picture in and narrative. Someday you will have to give me a computer lesson or two.

To the others that made comments, thanks for your kind words. Indeed each project is a learning experience for me and I hope to learn a lot more.

Hey Jim glad to see you made it on the Creek. Great to have you. (Tom you make sure you get all this to him )

Bookcase looks great. You will have to teach Tom how to finish a project that isn't spinning and then he can show you how to post your pictures so he isn't telling us all the bad things you did so he will look better.

Really great teamwork thanks for doing that Tom. Hope to see you around some more Jim

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well Done!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McFall
    Tom, thanks for putting the picture in and narrative. Someday you will have to give me a computer lesson or two.

To the others that made comments, thanks for your kind words. Indeed each project is a learning experience for me and I hope to learn a lot more.
    Jim -

Outstanding job. Tom's comment, "Jim wasn't pointing out his mistakes. He was bragging about his innate ability to make design changes on the fly . . . ." Reminds me of an old saying about being able to tell the true measure of the craftsman by the ability to cover his mistakes.

Great job on the bookshelves - both of them!

Ted

Hardy Ha Ha!

For your information - I finished a flat project once OK it wasn't actually finished but almost .

Sheesh Jim the first finished project I post & it aint even mine

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Bookcase looks great. You will have to teach Tom how to finish a project that isn't spinning and then he can show you how to post your pictures so he isn't telling us all the bad things you did so he will look better.

Really great teamwork thanks for doing that Tom. Hope to see you around some more Jim

Noah
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP