Thread: Speaker fabric

Speaker fabric

I made some custom made speaker surrounds about 15 years ago using speaker fabric from Radio Shack. Last week, one of my speakers blew out. So I order new speakers which are much larger and require a new speaker housing.

My Radio Shack no longer carries speaker fabric. Rockler doesn't have what I need. Can anybody suggest a source? By the way, here's a conceptual drawing of the new speakers next to the existing entertainment unit...

cheers, Jeff

Jeff try this place.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=140

Hope this helps.

Marty

Speaker Fabric

I used to do prototypes for a speaker designer; his speaker prices ran in the $40,000-$70,000 system range. He had a very good ear, and claimed that most fabrics worked fine as long as they arent a tight thread count; it was one of the things he felt had the least impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    I made some custom made speaker surrounds about 15 years ago using speaker fabric from Radio Shack. Last week, one of my speakers blew out. So I order new speakers which are much larger and require a new speaker housing.

My Radio Shack no longer carries speaker fabric. Rockler doesn't have what I need. Can anybody suggest a source? By the way, here's a conceptual drawing of the new speakers next to the existing entertainment unit...

cheers, Jeff
    Very nice system!

Try this:
    http://68.208.124.66/dealer/items.asp?CartId={ACD275B8-F4D9-4BBC-A02EVERESTB-6D8935507E70}&Cc=CLOTH&Bc=

That's an absolutely stunning setup Jeffrey!

Most speaker part mail order supply houses carry grill cloth. You might try Zalytron, Madisound, or Justspeakers. You could also try a local fabric store.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Wow! There are a lot more fabric colors on the links provided above than just the plain ol' black!

The wonders of the internet, and the joy of this forum.

thanks...Jeff

I've made some podiums with sound system built in, I used some black cloth from wal mart's fabric section. It looks just like speaker fabric and cost some pocket change for more fabric than you will be using.

I was surprised to see speaker fabric at an ordinary fabric store the other day with my wife (it was a JoAnn's). The per-yard pricing didn't seem unreasonable, but I did not make note of what the cost was as we don't need any at the moment.

Another option to consider if you don't wish to wait for mailorder. I only saw the speaker cloth in black, if that's an issue.

Adam

Speaker fabric

Jeff, a couple years ago I bought some speaker cloth on E-Bay. I don't remember the guys name, but I do know it was very inexpensive. You might want to check it out. HTH. Jim

jeff, i like partsexpress too, check out their drivers and crossovers before you get to far along. i built my home speakers using componants from them and they flat rock! ......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

What Tod said

I also built mine out of part from Parts Express a few years back. Since, speaker building has become a side business of mine.

And like Tod's they flat out rock. It is amazing what you can do when you make them yourself