Thread: Grandbaby Cradle (Pics)

Grandbaby Cradle (Pics)

A few months ago, we were informed that the first grandbaby was on it's way and due around Nov 1. The LOML got busy with her quilting and I pondered on something I could make in the shop for the occassion.

After looking at as many plans as could be found for baby cradles and not being able to settle on one, I simply borrowed a little of this and a little of that and kind of came up with an in between design. The goal was to be of knotty pine and have a rustic appeal. After completing the project, I hope I achieved the goal or at least came close. Of course it had to be personalized and a kind creeker came to my rescue to help me with the letter "N" for the final touch. A big thank you to Rob Littleton for doing such a great job on the letter which represents the baby's last name of "Nichelson".

This project was one of my first "real" WW episodes. I have made a lot of shop items, but nothing close to the finer side of WW until now. A cradle is one of the more complicated projects one can choose due to to all of the bevels, angles and miter type of cuts involved and this one proved to be a real challange for sure. (Leave it to me to make things as difficult as possible )

All of the cutting involved, was done with my E-Z guided circular saw system as I no longer have a table saw. The E-Z carried me thru with flying colors. The jig saw came in handy for the curved cuts and of course my router was indispensible for rounding over all of the edges. The project was finished in Minwax Golden Oak stain and top coated with 9 coats of semi gloss General Finishes.

This is one project I am glad to be finished with as it seems like I have been working on it much longer than it takes to have babies

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob,

That is certainly some beautiful work. Very nice. That is also a nice statement for the capabilities of the EZ Smart.

Burt

Handsome piece Bob, that will do a baby proud and their babies of future generations as well.

Great work Bob! Looks like a family heirloom has now been created for the family. Way to go buddy!!

Corey

Really looks nice Bob. I'm sure it will be used by many generations.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice Bob. I like your "in-between" design. It looks great!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks really good Bob.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Yup, have to agree with the others: That's not a "one-baby cradle"! I have a hunch many a tiny person will be rocked to sleep in that beauty! I've never been much of a Pine person but, you may be changing my mind! Great job, Bob!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Y'all have been most kind in your compliments and I appreciate it very much. It was a big project and an even bigger learning experience for me. I am glad to have it done and now need to go turn something on the lathe for a change of pace

You did a fine job on the cradle, Bob. I'm sure that knowing it was for a very special recipient made the project that much more important to you, too. Congrats on the new grandbaby and on a job well done.

- Vaughn

Very nice cradle Bob

It's very simular in design to some baby doll cradles I made my twin Grand Daughters. Great minds think alike!

Looks nice--great job!

....and glad you finished in time! I'm still working on my cradle project... baby is now 2 weeks old!

Looks good Bob! The way I go at planning projects the kid will be in High School when I finish, lol.