Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teak sofa progress...I hate teak!

Teak sofa progress...I hate teak!

Well after about 45 hours my ears are ringing from a loud planer...most of my tools need sharpening....my eyes a little tired of the hand cut mitered dovetails ....Did I mention I hate teak? Ask any hardwood supplier and milling teak is 2 times the cost of any other wood....try planing some and you will know why! It is super abrasive and between the oil an the grit it will eat your knives and they get loud! Can you hear me? I can't. The wood also has a tendency to split without cause on joinery and other places...
    I have wedged through tenons and mitered dovetails in 6/4 material on the arms. Mitered dovs are only sawn by hand and you have lots of chances to screw up since every surface is exposed (unlike half blinds where you just show one pretty face)...the miter is also handsawn. Dovetails in 6/4 will not allow room for error because in 1 1/2" everything shows....so I took about 1 1/2 hours for each of the arms....which is very slow even for mitered doves...If the miter looks bad the joint looks terrible. I decided on this piece to use my LN dovetail saw which has always taken a back seat to my old great Taylor Bros. saw...After using the LN for this I must say it is an excellent saw! It saws beautiful! After I cut all the joints with the LN ...I cut one more with my beloved Taylor Bros...and it is still my favorite.
    These pics are before finish and just lightly planed and sanded... It eats sandpaper too!
    I won't flip my knives till after I finish with the teak! My friend Chris Feddershon , a instructor at Palomar called me and gave me some tips. After talking to him I changed to West Systems for all the important joints. He said if you use TightBond glue it right after milling or the oil will cause a joint failure. I will never undertake such a challenging project with teak! It is not enjoyable!
    The structure is all mortise and tenon ....mostly made on my new MM Elite S Combo Mortiser. It worked great!
    I used a variety of planes...LN 164, LV Bevel up jack and smoother...The LN 102 block...and the Knight Coffin smoother which was great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-17-2006 at 7:19 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

here is another teaky pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Teak?! You should fire that designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Teak?! You should fire that designer.
    Jamie ...I am crying...I changed it so much I feel like its mine now?

So Mark, tell us how you really feel about Teak!!! That notwithstanding, those joints look absolutely fantastic! I have to believe it's gonna' look wonderful once you're done with it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mark.......I know you hate working with teak.....that withstanding ....you're surely showcasing your craftsmanship! Excellent! You have more patience than I!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mark,

Chill overnight and things will be ok. Joinery looks fine. Take 2 wacks to the thumb with your ball pein, and you'll forget about it...

Teak is very oily, which is the very reason it's used on boats extensively, it's pretty tough wood. Many of the larger yachts have teak decks also, it adhere's nicely in wet condition with deck shoes (can be hard on bare feet...DAMHIKT).

Very few if any knots, and the ones I have seen are small it's an interesting wood.

With that said, and you certainly have much more woodworking experience than myself, but I like teak with soft edges, because of the tight grain it feels wonderful with soft, rounded edges. The dovetails look nice, IMO, but are sharp joinery. Greene & Greene used quite a bit of teak, or shall I say the Hall Bros. used a lot of teak, in the utlimate bungalows. It looks fantastic. But they used it with soft finger joints that excentuated the joinery with soft edges. It works well in that setting, IMO.

The design you have shows very sharp edges, and is a much more modern design. Maybe another wood would fit better in that situation.

I happen to like teak a lot, as I do purple heart, hickory, paduk, and various rosewoods...but most all of the hardwoods are difficult to work with.

If you want wood that's easier to work with, try to steer your clients to walnut and maple!

Walnut has always been one of my faves, it turns, cuts, and pars just so fine...I was at my Mom's not long ago and saw a walnut bowl I turned back in high school, it still feels so nice and soft, even today...it just had danish oil on it, polished up on the lathe...
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 07-17-2006 at 3:59 AM.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

I love teak, personally. I can get 8/4 teak shorts for less than wide maple costs me in 8/4, so I'm using it fairly liberally these days.

It loves planes, too. Nice to work, for the most part. Just wipe the joints with acetone before gluing, that's all. Yes, it requires more sharpening, but so do any of the super-hard woods.

I know it's heresy, but I'm considering making the Enfield Shaker Cabinet out of teak (since our dining table is teak and it would go in the dining room).

My favorite domestic is cherry, but I'm learning to love walnut.

Beautiful Joinery, Mark. It will really hold the frame together solidly. What will the upholstery and the finish be? It'sa gonna be NICE when it'sa done.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

That design is fantastic Mark. The joinery is first class, as I would expect it to be coming from your shop.

While the teak is a pain to work with, I've a feeling the finished product will be stunning.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Blog Entries
    Just have one word for ya Mark WOW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
    I love teak, personally. I can get 8/4 teak shorts for less than wide maple costs me in 8/4, so I'm using it fairly liberally these days.

It loves planes, too. Nice to work, for the most part. Just wipe the joints with acetone before gluing, that's all. Yes, it requires more sharpening, but so do any of the super-hard woods.

I know it's heresy, but I'm considering making the Enfield Shaker Cabinet out of teak (since our dining table is teak and it would go in the dining room).

My favorite domestic is cherry, but I'm learning to love walnut.
    What is a good natural finish? I was thinking of just Briwax....What do you use?

Mark,

That is gorgeous work, as usual!!! You know, you ought to consider doing this for a living

BTW how do you like working with teak?
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Great work Mark. They sell teak oil as a finish, maybe that's an outdoor finish only.

Richard

15. Nice exposed joinery. Nice lines.
    I am partial to Danish Modern too.
    Why are you hand cuttiing the miters?