Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Milunias ???

John Milunias ???

John, I may have missed some thing. I noticed your hand bandaged in one of your posts. What happened? Just concerned.
    Bill

Oh man . I'm sorry...

About the spelling of your name.
    Bill

just to much hand work

he as you already know he talks alot and posts alot too he also has a desire to make things by hand thus wearing out the wrist at an ealry age.. he had a tendon repaired and is doing fine now.. but i am sure he will tell you the rest later just had to get him while he was down
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    About the spelling of your name.
    Bill

Bill,

John Mi "luni" is the proper spelling I believe

Ya gotta be a little "luni" to moderate the turner's forum

Hey John... sorry, but I had to get you while you were down also
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-20-2006 at 2:19 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Had his fingers where they didn't belong
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

The hushed truth is that he slipped while oil wrestling with Tyler and landed wrong on the wrist. I think that's all of that picture that needs to be painted.

- Vaughn

Oh, you guys are a riot!!! Yeah, I know...You're here all week. Shows at 8:00 & 10:00, right??? (Although Bob is pretty right about the "luni" part! ) LOML said it's because I've always got my thumb up my...Well, you know. And then I sat down!

Bill, in all seriousness, it was surgery for something they call, "Basal Thumb Arthritis". Basically, the cartilage where your very first thumb joint meets the wrist, gets diseased and disintegrates. Then it goes to bone on bone, with the added "feature" of the damaged bone then re-calcifying and creating "spurs". The pain goes from sometimes, to often, to a lot of it, to downright excruciating. Typically, if you have it in one thumb, there's a good chance you have it (at some stage) in the other, as well. Also typical, though a bit strange, I think, the rest of the joints on the hands are just fine! There are a couple different surgeries to correct this. In my case, my surgeon chooses to keep things "natural". They cut open the joint and hack/cut/scrape the "bad" bones. Then, they cut a chunk of tendon out from a bit further up from your wrist, make into kind of a coil and install that in between the two bones. Kind of like a shock absorber. I had my left hand done last year, and although full recovery is rather lengthy, I've got almost 100% range of motion on it and real good strength. In the meantime, my right hand had gotten to the point of intolerable and, given the positive results of the other one, I chose to get the right done this year, as well. The doc said this one had gotten a *lot* worse over the year and took about twice as much work to rebuild it. BUT, I'm looking forward to positive results from this one and getting back to a "normal" quality of life.

Thanks for asking and sorry if it was a LOT more info than you were looking for! Consider it a "public service announcement" if someone else out there may be experiencing pain in the base of your thumb(s)!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Truth is a young lady injured him recently as part of the lathe swaps when he got too aggressive (see other thread in Turners section). Only kidding, John, HEAL well!!!
    Jerry

Joint damage ain't fun. Hope you heal quickly and completely John.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Oh, you guys are a riot!!! Yeah, I know...You're here all week. Shows at 8:00 & 10:00, right??? (Although Bob is pretty right about the "luni" part! ) LOML said it's because I've always got my thumb up my...Well, you know. And then I sat down!

Bill, in all seriousness, it was surgery for something they call, "Basal Thumb Arthritis". Basically, the cartilage where your very first thumb joint meets the wrist, gets diseased and disintegrates. Then it goes to bone on bone, with the added "feature" of the damaged bone then re-calcifying and creating "spurs". The pain goes from sometimes, to often, to a lot of it, to downright excruciating. Typically, if you have it in one thumb, there's a good chance you have it (at some stage) in the other, as well. Also typical, though a bit strange, I think, the rest of the joints on the hands are just fine! There are a couple different surgeries to correct this. In my case, my surgeon chooses to keep things "natural". They cut open the joint and hack/cut/scrape the "bad" bones. Then, they cut a chunk of tendon out from a bit further up from your wrist, make into kind of a coil and install that in between the two bones. Kind of like a shock absorber. I had my left hand done last year, and although full recovery is rather lengthy, I've got almost 100% range of motion on it and real good strength. In the meantime, my right hand had gotten to the point of intolerable and, given the positive results of the other one, I chose to get the right done this year, as well. The doc said this one had gotten a *lot* worse over the year and took about twice as much work to rebuild it. BUT, I'm looking forward to positive results from this one and getting back to a "normal" quality of life.

Thanks for asking and sorry if it was a LOT more info than you were looking for! Consider it a "public service announcement" if someone else out there may be experiencing pain in the base of your thumb(s)!
    Hey John....

How long did it take you to type this post?

Hope you quickly heal!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Hey John....

How long did it take you to type this post?

Hope you quickly heal!

Joe
    Joe, believe it or not, just a few minutes! I can still type at close to my regular pace, although I do all the spacebar hits with my left hand now and, on occassion, the cast around my thumb hits an erant key. I do touch-type so, with my other fingers still free to move, it's not that bad. The above diatribe is about as long as I can stand to type at one sitting, though, as it does hurt a bit. But, gettin' better every day!

Thanks again for the support, guys!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

See i told you so

he almost a hundred percnt now,, typing almost as fast as he talks. and giviin us way more than we asked for. he just a generous guy.. and jerry if he got injured from that gal at the falls ,, i think it was worth it
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

John---Glad to hear you are on the mend, hope this one turns out as well as the previous, though the wait can't be much fun.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I heard the same rumor!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    The hushed truth is that he slipped while oil wrestling with Tyler and landed wrong on the wrist. I think that's all of that picture that needs to be painted.
    - Vaughn
    Vaughn,
    I heard the same story so it must be true. Fortunately, neither of them lost their thongs. The "Chastity Thongs" that I invented must be working! We can all thank our lucky stars for that. Please don't beg. The lock combinations are on the latest Voyager rocket headed for Uranus. If it doesn't crash, we may get some pictures back! EGADS!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Sure Pesh,
    Come in on the end of a thread whilst still in the middle of your summer retreat, and talk smart, none the less!

As to your less than subtle allusions to you-know-what, please know that during your absence the Creek has become, once again, a respecticle event for households around the entire Earth!

But on another note my dear friend, will you please PM me with a phone number where I can contact you sometime over the next couple weeks? I really need to talk to you soon.

Thanks,
    Your Libber Friend,
    Arena