Thread: Auto log in/recognition difficulties??

Auto log in/recognition difficulties??

After a couple years aboard SMC and +2000 posts, I still cannot understand the recognition pattern of my logins. Most of the time, I still have to go through the whole process (type in name, password, etc). Other times (more seldom) I am automatically recognized and welcomed! On my laptop, this auto recognition occurs about 90% of time. On my PC, its about 30%. I'm a slow typist so I'm curious and of course, impatient. Can this be helped?? Or am I doing something wrong?? Help!! Thanks
    Jerry

Jerry, the only time I have had to type in my name and password has been when I've reinstalled my operating system. Perhaps your cookies are set to expire? Are you using IE or Firefox (or another)? You might check the privacy settings for your browser, as I can go indefinitely without typing in my password. You may just have to delete your cookies, too.

Hope that helps.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason, I'm using IE and went to properties and reviewed all security settings. I enabled "permit auto log in and password". No change. Still asking for name, password. Thanks for your help..Don't know why condition persists. I routinely delete cookies, temp files and have a cleaner that does that automatically each time I sign off.??
    Jerry

Ahh...I was suggesting to delete the cookies to clean things up and start over. But, those cookies are what contain your autologin info for SMC, I believe. Don't thank me yet--your problem isn't fixed! I'm just tossing out ideas, I'm no expert.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    I routinely delete cookies, temp files and have a cleaner that does that automatically each time I sign off.??
    I think that's your problem Jerry, if you delete your cookies every time you sign off, that's where you lose your logon.

I delete all my cookies every couple of weeks or so, after the clean out I have to re-establish all my logins (including SMC) next time I attempt to access them.
    Tony

Thanks Jason and Tony. A gigantic DUH for me!! But I notice when I close SMC and go to another website while still using IE as browser and 5 minutes later, go back to SMC, I'm again asked for login details having never closed down the PC or IE. My software is geared to clean up cookies and temp files after each shut down. I'll try again. Your idea makes sense...A computer guru I'm not but this is frustrating...Oooops I better sign/log in again Thanks.
    Jerry

Jerry, when you log in do you check the Remember Me box just to the right of user name? If not, it will log you out when you leave the site.
    Tony

Thanks, Tony. I went through ALL my security and cookie settings and stopped all auto cookie deletes. I am remembering to again check the "remember me" box. For now, after a couple of tests, it seems to be working OK. Thanks for your advice. Amazing how the broad scope of what a PC can do can be throttled by such a little annoying matter. Gracias...
    Jerry

In a days time, I frequently open IE several times. Only one will save the settings for something like the SC log-in. By doing that, I log myself out many times and have just gotten accustomed to logging back in. Not a biggie.