Thread: Amazon Deals? Compare First!

Amazon Deals? Compare First!

I like to watch Amazon, as do many fellow Creekers. I check out Today's Deals whenever possible. Today, they have deals on the Milwaukee line of 28.8V LiOn battery tools. If you buy one tool "kit" (where "kit" = "with two batteries and a charger"), you can get a free tool (but no battery). A good deal, especially when you compare the prices to the big Tool Depots.
    Sharp Amazon watchers will remember a similar promotion back in May. I jumped at the deal back then, and here's why I'm alerting everyone today.
    I bought the Milwaukee 0730-22 Circular Saw Kit for $264.00 including shipping. I opted for the 0779-22 Impact Wrench as my free tool.
    Two tools. Two batteries, one charger, $264.00.
    That same deal on Today's Deals will run you $419.00.
    A sharp consumer will realize it is smarter to order the least expensive tool, then get one of the higher priced tools as the freebie. Today's Deals lists the least expensive tool in the promotion at $349.00 (the impact wrench).
    As much as I do not condone impulse shopping due to its adverse effect on take-home pay, I must admit (and Gloat? ) that I knew back in May that this was a deal too good to pass up. I have minimal use for an impact wrench, but I've already put the little CS to good use. Even without the free tool deal, the price for the CS was great.
    So keep a close eye out, fellow Creekers. When a deal is too good to be true....TAKE IT!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Yes and no. I know that the Bessey deals always appear to good to be true. Thing is, they're almost always available at the good deal price. They'll disappear for a while and pop back up. Same with the H12V router. If you pay more than $159.99, you're losing out. I got mine for $111.

You're definitely right, though. You need to pay attention. I frequently put items in my cart and procrastinate checking out. The next time I go in, I get the dreaded message: "The price has increased since you added it to your cart." If that happens, I generally wait a few days until the price comes back down. Sometimes they don't for a while. Then I regret not buying it. "Non-Buyers Remorse"?

Another thing you should always do with Amazon is monitor the prices AFTER you receive the goods. They'll honor their own price drops for 30 days after you buy it.

What amazes me is the huge swing in some of their prices... The Bessey clamps were really cheap, especially with the 20% promo. I got 12" and 24" K bodies for about $15 each and the 2450 for $70+ Now the same clamps are $30 ~ $34 and the 2450 about $150!

It would be interesting to talk to the person/persons that determine what price they charge, when. It can't be all computer generated based just on markup/demand.... Also what gets free shipping and when. I got my DC & TS with free shipping, but their policy is almost no free shipping on heavy items.

Hmmmmm...
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 07-21-2006 at 3:39 PM.

Besseys

I also bought some Besseys on sale last fall. I got 6 60" for less than $36 apiece. Today's sale lists the 50" clamps K3-550 and K3-560. Anyone know what the difference is? The 560's are $5.00 more.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Amazon has spiders that crawl the web looking for lower prices. If they find them, they lower the price automatically to beat the other guy.

Scott
    The K3.550 is the model number for the 50" clamps and K3.560 is bessey's model number for 60" Thus for the extra $5 you are getting an additional 10" of clamping space
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

"K" for the clamp style, "3.5" for the 3.5 inch length of the clamp throat, and, like Dave explained, "50" for 50 inch bar length, or "60" for 60 inch length.