Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey John Miliunas-Captive Rigs

Inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    John,
    It doesn’t look very difficult to extend the bed of your Vega for the loads a captive HF rig would put to it.

Frank
    Hey Arena old buddy how are you doing? Whatever, why would anyone want to take the advice of a liberal? Maybe you have been snuggling up with Ann too long! Regardless, I'm hoping that you are having a GREAT summer!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

John

Yep them mustardarizers are real wieners.

A one armed two legged funny paper hanger errrr I mean spinny mustardarizar operator. So whats it like to run a weiner?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Well, Bart, this particular mustard color mo-chine, is quite capable of taking your arm off, ifn' you ain't careful!!! 500+ pounds sitting on well under 2 sq/ft. of floor space, with a 2hp motor! It's got a 24" capacity and one 'o these days, I'll try making something bigger than 9 or so inches!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hey Arena old buddy how are you doing? Whatever, why would anyone want to take the advice of a liberal? Maybe you have been snuggling up with Ann too long! Regardless, I'm hoping that you are having a GREAT summer!!

Dale T.
    Thank you my dear friend Pesh for gracing we Creekers with your most highly esteemed presence,
    However, due to your prolonged absence from this watery place and the likelihood that many here are not aware of our ongoing tete a teet, please allow me a moment to clarify whom you are referring to when you say “Ann”.

Creekers, the “Ann”, Dale is referring to here is Ann Coulter, my new consort and protégé, not Ann Miliunas, the daughter of my dear friend John whom I have known since she was a child and who is now the nurturing mother of baby Madison.

Welcome back Dale!

Yours Always,
    Frank

Hi John

As a fellow Vega owner, I have a couple of things for you to think on regarding a captured hollowing rig. First of all, Vega makes a bed extension which bolts onto the ways where the tailstock bolts on - and no, you can't bolt the tailstock onto the extension and make a longer lathe, at least not without an awful lot of work on your own part. They are not cheap either, but they are sturdy.

Secondly, you could probably make something out of wood or metal that you could bolt to the lathe which might serve just as well. The torque arrestor only serves to keep the tool from flopping around, and as has been mentioned, a lot of people have made them out of wood. There is no reason why the whole thing could not be made from wood as well. I would build it with some adjustability in it since sometimes you are going to want that, but I think you should be able to put something together which would do very nicely.

Good luck with it.

Bill