Thread: Trees Everywhere!!!

Trees Everywhere!!!

Has anyone else in PA noticed that there are downed trees everywhere due the storm the other night? Is anyone taking advantage of this to restock their wood supply? If so, I'd be interested in getting in on some of that action. Jim Becker, I know you've used a sawyer before. You got him working for you now?

Rob,
    Same here in my neck of the woods (SW Wisc.). Not sure tho if I’ll even have time to select choice pieces from a downed walnut before I travel to AZ for two weeks.

Can anyone with experience tell me if I would be safe leaving it in the woods ‘till I get back? Shady site and humid summer air.

Let me see, how many pen blanks would that baby yield?

Thanks,
    Frank

Rob, I live in Glenmoore in Chester County and was wondering the same thing. We got hit really hard (just got power back yesterday). I have seen a lot of tree guys about with chippers taking care of the "mess". I suspect it is the salad days for the firewood guys and I bet the only way we will get any is to buy it by the cord.

That said, there is a massive branch down in the church on Little Conestoga road that no one appears to be in a hurry to get rid of. Looks like hickory or something.

Used to hate seeing downed trees.

I still hate it, but I only see potential boards in my future lately.

Now I only need a good resaw..........

(maybe after the TS???)

We had a huge storm the other night ( they're calling it a microburst, whatever that is...don't want another one though ) and there are huge old growth trees down all over town. Right over my fence are 3, including a great black walnut. I think the neighbors are about to start fighting (with lawyers) about who's going to have to pay to have it removed.

I'm thinking of settling it... with my chain saw and a couple of beers.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Down in the Liberty, Maine area they had a freak tornado come through and play havoc with the trees. As some of you know Maine has VERY FEW tornado's so this was a big deal. It also occured in a town known for their massive White Pine. In traveling through there yesterday I noticed a lot of nice White Pine were blown down. Hopefully they are being recovered.

Myself, I spend a lot of time in late summer collecting what we call "Blow downs" or trees that are uprooted, snapped off by the wind, or just plain rotted. Whatever we can salvage we run through the sawmill and the rest gets sent to the local papermill.

Last year I built most of my small woodworking shop out of blown down timber. Mostly spruce and hemlock lumber...2500 feet of it to be exact. It was great to put it to good use and not see these trees get wasted. I made a webpage about last years harvesting if anyone is interested. Here is the link.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Log_Intro.html

Travis,

I had a serious puter hiccup a few weeks ago and lost all the Maine owwm info you referred me to. You sent me a link to a multi site tool barn (they have a place in Hulls Cove and other sites) as well as the place where you bought that old (I think it was a) Jointer? Could I get em again? Pretty please?

Thanks
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

Rob, no trees down on my property when we got home from vacation last night...a few limbs, but that's about it. If you need a good sawyer in this area, Gene Hamilton in the Chalfont/New Britain area is very good.

But I will say that on the way down from Five Barns yesterday, I was really taken by the damage to the trees along the Delaware River and it's various islands over the past couple months. It's amazing what that water can do...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig
    I think the neighbors are about to start fighting (with lawyers) about who's going to have to pay to have it removed.
    This one always brings up good neighbor feelings!
    If the tree was live and in no known peril to fall then it is the responsibility of person whose property upon it is lying to remove it. If the tree was known to be dead and known to be in hazard of falling, then it is the owners responsibilty based upon theory of liability.
    It stinks but if your neighbors tree falls on your fence and into your yard, you are responsible for repairs unless they were negligent in the up keep of said tree. The neighbors insurance will NOT respond as they are not legally liable. The person who suffers the damage can file for damage to property, buildings, fences, etc but the insurance policy will not respond to remove the tree except to remove from a structure to make repair. In other words no debris removal provided.

10. Liberty Tool Co

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clark
    Travis,

I had a serious puter hiccup a few weeks ago and lost all the Maine owwm info you referred me to. You sent me a link to a multi site tool barn (they have a place in Hulls Cove and other sites) as well as the place where you bought that old (I think it was a) Jointer? Could I get em again? Pretty please?

Thanks
    Dear Tim,

The name you are looking for is the Liberty Tool Company located out of Liberty Maine. They also have two other stores, one in Hulls Cove, and the other in Searport Maine. I have not yet visited the other two.

What a great store to go into though. You are not always assured they have what you need, or at least can find what you need, but they will have something you want, guaranteed. It takes awhile to broswe the three full floors too so its not the place to bring the Mrs.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Rub it in.

No fair. You have black walnut laying on the ground and here I am looking out the window with a view that goes on for 50 miles and not one tree in it. Ever hear of anything as silly as a woodworker in the desert??

Look behind you Jesse.