Thread: Grizzly G0453 Planer

Grizzly G0453 Planer

From the looks of the postings, it looks like there is a high level of satisfaction with the G0453. I am giving strong consideration to replacing my portable planer with one.

It will be a tight fit in my shop and I have a couple of questions on the dimensions and shipping. What is the distance from the floor to the planer platter table at its lowest level and at its highest level - - these dimensions are not included on the Grizzley site and I need them to ensure I can plane an 8 foot board.

Another question I have is the shipping of the planer. It appears it is in one crate. I need to get it down a hill -- I think I can slide it down on a sheet of plywood much like I needed to do with my unisaw. I am assuming the crate is top heavy. Does it also need to be lifted off of a palet or can it be broken away?

The measurement from the lowest table setting is 27.5" from the floor. The highest (zero clearance to feed stock) is 35 5/8".

Yes it comes in one crate. Mine was in a 1/2"plywood crate bolted to the skid bottom. The cast wings are detached in a box resting on the planer table for shipping. Thev unit is very heavy. I think the shipping wait is 600+ lbs.

Anyway, I had a heck of a time lifting mine with a kubota tractor w/ bucket loader. (Picked up at Grizz on flatbed and then returned to friends house to unload his tools first. His tractor couldn't lift it from trailer height to pickup truck. Had to rent a liftgate truck to get it home. )

I would be very careful trying to get it downhill. Gravity might just take over. Can you use a come-a-long or winch to control the downhill slide?
    Good Luck. You will like this tool.

Martin, I bought a Yorkcraft (which to me is the same unit). Anyway it was crated the same way. I used a engine hoist to lift it off the back of my truck. I don't know what your situation is. Or what you mean by going down hill. But I agree with Jeff it's very HEAVY. If you roll it downhill you could put the caster on then do so. While I had mine up in the air with the hoist I did so. Then lower it and rolled it into my shop. Hope it helps......