Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Sewing table

1. Shaker Sewing table

I made this Shaker sewing table while demonstrating period woodworking techniques at a living history park. All the lumber preparation and joinery were done by hand, but the column and knobs were turned on a modern lathe, due to the lack of a suitable working lathe at the park. The table took about 22 hours to make. It is made from cherry and pine. The cherry was colored with lye and then sealed with shellac and given a glaze to imitate age ( the original table was heavily stained a reddish brown, but I couldn’t bring myself to stain cherry like that). The top was coated with thinned down Behlen Rock Hard varnish, applied with a pad. The table measures 26” high, 21” wide, and 17” deep. I should have made the drawers just a little less deep, as they sort of over-power the rest of the table. The last photo shows the table on the bench in the shop at the park.
    Rob Millard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Millard; 07-23-2006 at 7:58 AM.

very nice rob!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Hi Rob,

I remember you talking about this piece a while back in a previous post. As always, you work is superb! So, when you mention the drawer depth issue, are you concerned about the depth for reasons of reproduction "faithfulness" or from a functional perspective? Also, did you dovetail the legs into the turned column? Shaker seems to be a departure for you as that most of your work seems to be representative of the Federal period. Will Shaker figure more prominently in your future pieces?

Rob,
    Always nice to see your work. Did you use garden lime on the cherry?

A question -- I see the layout of your dovetails, and what looks like about a 15 deg. angle. Is this becuase it is period appropriate, or done on the original, or just your taste for these fully exposed joints.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Great piece. Love those dovetails that go to almost nothing. What type of lime and where did you get it?

Geat piece of work!
    18th century nut --- Carl

7. I made the Shaker pieces, because they lend themselves to quick construction ( I have only 4 hours every other weekend to work on them) and they fit well with the period and "style" of the living history park.

http://www.metroparks.org/_carriageH...kOverview.aspx

Shaker furniture is a small side line; I’m dedicated to Federal furniture.

The legs are dovetailed into the post, and the blacksmith forged a "spider" to reinforce the leg to post joints.

I used lye not lime. I purchased drain cleaner sold under the name Roebic , which is pure sodium hydroxide. Got mine at Lowe’s. This idea came from an article in Fine Woodworking from the mid 80’s. It works quite well if the lye content is kept very low, as it can easily get too dark. The lye will “freeze” the color, making it stable over time, and the glaze will unify the color. This is not something you’d want to do to highly figured or curly cherry, because I think it would end up looking rather poor.
    The dovetail angle came from looking at photos of Shaker pieces, and they all seemed to have a more pronounced angle than the Federal furniture I’m use to . They reminded more of Newport furniture. I tend to cut fine necks on all my dovetails, to distinguish them from machine cut ones.
    Thanks for the comments
    Rob Millard
    Last edited by Rob Millard; 07-18-2006 at 2:39 PM.

Rob, as usual superb workmanship.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Rob,

Your sewing table is superb! Very nice work, love the dovetails. Too bad you prefer Federal to Shaker.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Excellent work Rob!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The message is gone, so am I
    Last edited by Shelley Bolster; 10-18-2006 at 8:40 AM.

Rob,
    You are doing great work! I love this piece ...the execution is just wonderful! Beautiful proportion, great dovetails.... WOW!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Really beautiful Rob. Nice to see a piece in a different style, too.

I've always liked thos tables. You did an excellent job with yours.

Beautiful table Rob. It's a joy to see such work - thanks!

Wes