Thread: Transitional Totes

Transitional Totes

Were the totes on Stanley's transitional planes generally smaller than on their metallic planes? I just got a 28" No. 33 jointer and the tote on this plane seems smaller than on my metallic stanleys. On my #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7 I can quite comfortably hold the tote with a 3 finger grip with my index finger pointed along the side of the blade similar to how one would grip a saw. However, with the #33 tote, the same 3 finger grip seems tight and uncomfortable. In fact, I'm not sure how to grip this plane comfortably so my tote hand does not feel cramped, and I don't have very big hands. Anyone else notice this or did I just get an oddball plane? I can make a new tote but I don't know if it will fit under the lateral adjustment lever if I make it any bigger than the original. Has anyone ever tried to fit a tote from a metallic plane on a transitional? I know the transitionals don't have the front screw holes of the metallic planes but will a metallic plane tote fit in height or will it interfere with the lateral adjustment lever?

Yes, Robert they were smaller as the iron was the same length but all the mechanism that held the iron was mounted on top of the Wood Body as was the tote.

This picture shows a transitional next to a Keen Kutter #8 for comparison.

This picture shows a Fulton transitional in the foreground, and a Stanley in the background, notice how the Fulton Tote has less of a forward rake to it and thus more room between the iron adjusting lever.

This is the grip I normally use with the Fulton Jack.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks Harry! I tried a grip similar to yours on my Stanley #33 but my index finger was also pointing down the length of the plane so it was in effect a two finger grip because I could not get three fingers on the tote comfortably as in your grip above. But as you mention, the Stanley grip is more closed than your Fulton's more upright tote. The two finger grip was ok but still not as comfortable as my normal grip. Probably will just take some getting used to.

Sounds like a good excuse to make a new tote!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome