Thread: Hf Dc Canister Upgrade

Hf Dc Canister Upgrade

Has anyone tried out the new canister upgrade that HF has available for their DC: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278

With one of their 20% off coupons, the price would be very tempting. Any idea if it's worth it?

Keith

I have the HF DC and have been eyeing this one very closely. However, I believe you can get the Wynn canister cheaper, right??

Tim

Beater?

Tim,

It appears that the 35A274BLOL is quite a bit cheaper and the 35A100SBOL is about the same if you use one of HF's 20% off coupons. But, it doesn't appear that either has a beater brush on it to help dislodge the dust. It seems that would be a pretty nice feature to have.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck
    Tim,

It appears that the 35A274BLOL is quite a bit cheaper and the 35A100SBOL is about the same if you use one of HF's 20% off coupons. But, it doesn't appear that either has a beater brush on it to help dislodge the dust. It seems that would be a pretty nice feature to have.

Keith

Are those the Wynn product numbers? From the picture on the HF site, the HF unit has a beater on it. I wonder if it's a paper filter or fabric???

Tim

Wynn numbers

Tim,

Those are the product numbers of the Wynn filters from their website.

They didn't have the canister in my local HF, so I haven't been able to see it in person. I'm hoping that someone who has it or has at least seen it, chimes in.

Keith

Keith,

Having just bought the HF DC, I am watching this thread with a lot of interest. Hope someone has had experience with the cannister and can tell us whether we should go with it or the Wynn.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Art

Blog Entries
    I am using the wynn filter with a jet pre-seperation lid. This keeps 98%of the stuff from reaching the filter. when I was looking into this, amazon was having a sale on the jds filter with a beater, missed out on the sale but there was a post on the woodnet forum that showed how one individual made their own beater in the wynn for pretty cheap.

Be interested in this myself, was looking at an inexpensive way to update my 1hp DC until I can save up for a larger one and that setup may get me by. Be interesting to see if anyone has seen/used that filter.

Here's a thread I started awhile ago for anyone interested in making a beater for a Wynn. Others have posted variations on this. Nothing really original. I enjoyed building it, but others may not consider it that much fun. Considering the time and materials involved, some may prefer just to buy the HF canister and that's okay.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32652

I have the Wynn Spun bond filter without a beater flapper in it. I don't miss it. I rap my hand on the side of the filter once in a while and it falls right off. I've wondered about the wear and tear on the insides of the pleats from the flapper rubbing on the same pleat edges over and over again with the saw dust acting as an abrasive. I don't know if this is a problem but I don't see how there wouldn't eventually be some wear. The HF may be fine and I don't have a problem with some HF products, (My DC is HF) but what is known about the HF filter? What's it made out of? Has the 1 micron claim been certified? If it's not available in one of the local HF stores you can't use the 20% off coupon. $170 is a lot to pay for something you know very little about when the Wynn filter is much less expensive and is an outstanding product. Flapper smapper. I don't need no stinkin' flapper!

Bruce

I've got a separator lid that I adapted to have 5" inlet & outlets. It worked well with the HF DC. I don't use it anymore as I now have a cyclone, so if anybody wants it, give me a pm or email.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend
    Here's a thread I started awhile ago for anyone interested in making a beater for a Wynn. Others have posted variations on this. Nothing really original. I enjoyed building it, but others may not consider it that much fun. Considering the time and materials involved, some may prefer just to buy the HF canister and that's okay.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32652
    Brad,

About how much did it cost for you to build it?
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hyman
    Brad,

About how much did it cost for you to build it?
    Hmmmm... Threaded rod, square aluminum tubing, trashcan, hardware.... I'm guessing less than $20. Hard to tell because some of it I already had on hand.

Do you need one? Everybody has a different experience, but I found that all the external force in the world - pounding, blasting with air, etc. - would not do nearly as good a job as something beating those pleats from the inside. The physical spreading of the pleats allows a lot of stuff to fall out that gets wedged in between that otherwise would never get loosened. What I do is run the beater around about ten revolutions. This loosens everything up and gets most of it, THEN pound and blast with air.