Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you shape this?

How would you shape this?

I have been commissioned to make 2 copies of this 100+ year old plant stand.

[IMG]plant stand 2.jpg[/IMG]

The part that I need opinions on is the thick (5 inches square) curve on the lower third. I was thinking of gluing up a 6 inch or so block. and bandsawing the curves, then either rasping and hand sanding it smooth, but I am open to any other suggestions. I no longer have access to a drum sander, so that idea is out.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Craig Zettle; 07-25-2006 at 4:46 PM.

Craig,
    I'm not able to open up the attachment. Others might have the same problem.

What John said.

I think I got it.

Yes, I think the band saw would be your best option. Rasps to clean up followed by ROS.

yup, bandsaw....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

My biggest concern is being consistant on all 4 sides. Looking at it, it has tha appearance of a truly hand made piece of furniture, so I guess if I am off a little it won't be too bad.

Bandsaw or Neanderthal bow saw.

What Don & Tod said...

Craig,
    Make a template for the contour. Then scrib/draw the shape onto all four sides. This should keep it pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Zettle
    My biggest concern is being consistant on all 4 sides. Looking at it, it has tha appearance of a truly hand made piece of furniture, so I guess if I am off a little it won't be too bad.
    craig, make a pattern follower for your bandsaw and use a pattern..that`ll get you pretty close except for the tight areas at the bottom...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

A pattern follower? I'm pretty smart , so give me 1 or 2 clues, and I am good to go.

use a stick, 1-2" wide as thick as your pattern, notch the stick to engulf the blade from the side, mount it on a block as thick or slightly thicker than your stock and secure it to the table so the notched stick is surrounding the blade front/left/rear open on right .....wait a min. i`ll make a quickie....tod

here ya go, blade guard removed for ever...whoops for clarity

MVC-796S.JPG

MVC-797S.JPG

MVC-798S.JPG

Hi Craig, I agree with the above- once you bandsaw off a side, consider taping it back on, so that when you turn it, you still have a flat edge for the table.

It's a pretty plant stand. I like it.