Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot oak

Home Depot oak

I confess...this morning I bought a 1x8x8' piece of red oak at the Depot. Cost me $31.12 after tax, which I figure is something around $6 per bf. I didn't even call and check the price at the yard. A fella at work needed 6 small shelves and 8 small trim pieces to customize a store-bought entertainment center...and I figure getting it at the depot saved me 45 miles (over 2 gallons of gas) and an hour of driving...and it's already the right thickness and it's already sanded...so probably 30 minutes of milling time. Me thinks that worked out okay.

So a rare thanks to the 'convenience factor' of Home Depot.

Yea, I know what you mean a few weeks ago LOML decided she wanted a paper towel holder made and the only saw I had was my band saw, planer and jointer as well as table saw were already in Arizona. I did the same thing.

Home Depot oak

I have to admit to using their 1/4" x 8"x24" oak for small laser jobs. Quite frequently, actually.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Can be convenient, but I have had to pick through entire pile to get a couple of boards that weren't warped, damaged, or with drying defects. The drying defects can be subtle, a little honeycomb here or there, for example. And, even when apparently OK, I have had some effects of case hardening where curfs really wanted to close up. So if I can avoid it I do. I'll even buy the outrageously priced stuff at Woodcraft first. Best solution: when buying for a more substantial project at a real lumberyard or saw mill add a few boards to what you really need. Soon you will have a good stash for the quicky projects.

I'll second the above, you really have to look closely.

I'm visiting my sister's family and am using S4S pine and red oak from Home Depot and Lowes to build a small children's table for her. My nephew already had a hand saw and drill, I picked up a pocket hole jig and away we went. I'll probably get them a block plane for the table ends.

Maurice

it`ll be a cold day when i buy hardwood from a borg!..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    it`ll be a cold day when i buy hardwood from a borg!..02 tod

Yep!!! Agree

While I agree that I'd prefer to not buy any "furniture" lumber from HD, I have to admire the birds-eye pine that Tod Burch managed to score from them and/or similar over time. His shop cabinets are gorgeous! I guess that when you have some copious free time, it isn't a horrible thing to look through the racks for something noteworthy that slipped in...but I'd rather go to someplace like Hearne and have the woodworker's equivalent of "a really good time"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Me too! I just can't do it.

Same here Just can't bring myself to buy at those prices. Last weekend I was ask to make a couple of thresholds. I could bring myself to buy at that price. That's why I'll always buy extra on a lumber run. Just to have it on hand.

It's either the Borg or 2 hour drive for me. You can guess how often I make that drive with a hectic work schedule..........

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    It's either the Borg or 2 hour drive for me. You can guess how often I make that drive with a hectic work schedule..........
    john, try and hook up with a local cabinet shop or smc member or both you`ll save quite a chunk of change and maybe meet some nice folk? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

At least after this week end I'll be reunited with all of my WW equiptment and moving to the stix, it not much further to Chandler Hardwoods then it is the the Orange borg and it's actually closer then the blue borg so It's a no brainer for me now.

I was checking his pricing for 6/4 and 4/4 white OAK for a project that LOML has for me and I don't think that $3.20 db.ft. is too bad of a price. As compared to $6.00 bdft for red oak at the borg.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    I have to admit to using their 1/4" x 8"x24" oak for small laser jobs. Quite frequently, actually.
    Second that. They also have 1/4" poplar, which I seem to use in larger quantities than you'd expect.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

While I agree its far from being the higher quality stuff I dont have alot of choices, because I lack a couple of important tools like a jointer and planer. The next nearest place I know of is a 130 mile round trip.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.