Thread: A couple of small Bowls

A couple of small Bowls

I turned these 2 small bowls in the past few days. These were turned from a small European Hedge Maple Log that my Dad had laying near the wood pile. It was about 6' long, and I have managed to get several pieces out of it. These 2 bowls were turned with the grain, because the pith was very small, and I wanted to see how it would work out? The wood had a little moisuture in it, but I don't think it was enough to cause much movement thru drying, but time will tell. I just wiped on a light coat of Antique Oil on these when finished, and I will wait to see how they fare before any additional finishing. I have turned several species of wood so far, and this Maple was by FAR a treat to turn.........very cooperative and easy to get a very smooth cut and an excellent sanded finish as well. As always, thanks for taking a look!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question

Kevin -

Bowls look very smooth. Even turning "with" the grain. You said very small pith - is that common for European Hedge Maple or just because it was a small log?

Well done,
    Ted

Ted, the Hedge Species of Maple is found mostly in Europe, but they are available in the States. They are normally multi-stemmed, but with pruning they can be developed into a single trunk. The are small at maturity, 30' tall, compared to other Maples. The leaves are also quite small, and they have rounded lobes compared to other maples. This Tree was about 15 years old and had a trunk of approx. 12" diameter, which is about as big as they get. The pith being so small is due to the truck diameter, and it is about the diameter of a pencil. Some species have a smaller pith area than others, but I am not sure if that is the case with this variety of maple, it was probably mostly the size. That is why I decided to turn these end grain bowls instead of the conventional way. I have several more sections, and I will most likely turn them the conventional way, just to see how they compare. Some species have a smaller pith area than others, but I am not sure if that is the case with this variety of maple, it was probably mostly the size. These were a pleasure to turn and finish, the easiest so far. (The wood, and my skills are improving some, made the difference I guess?)

Very nice, Keven. I especially like the contour of the first one. It also appears there is a little subtle action going on in that wood, too. Your work continued to be inspiring...I hope I can get back on the lathe soon and even attempt something half as nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kevin,

Jim may like the first one but I like the second one Well I like them both, but I am all about unusuall. That bottom one looks perfect for putting pretzles or walnuts or mixed nuts in and serving them up for the football game. Really great job. Hmmm....I have made mushrooms and you keep churning out bowls and nice stuff. Boy am I a slow learner or what.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Kevin -

Thanks for the detailed response. Covered my questions!

Ted

Kevin, very good work as you typically do. Of the two I'll have to go with the first one, looks like it could be a morning Captain Crunch cereal bowl. (Peanut butter captain crunch that is)
    I have a question for you though, how do you remove, from the bowl, the part that is connected to the faceplate after turning it?
    Thanks, Doug

Fine Job as Usual

Looks great Kevin - I wouldn't have guessed that they were any type of maple but they look great. Gives me one more new thing to try (the with the grain part). I've kinda got a bonanza of turning wood avialable to me thanks to Isabel (along with a $3,000 stucco repair job ) so I'll be able to experiment even more than I have been.

Keep em coming your turning is inspiring a lot of us to keep spinning that wood into objects de' art (Ok I might be pushing that one a bit )

Noah quit screwing around - finish your patio & take the biggest chunk of wood that will fit on your lathe & turn a bowl - it's a blast.
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 09-26-2003 at 7:14 PM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Kevin, I like um both, can't pick a favorite. I usually like more figure
    in the wood, but the clean look of this maple is super. Good luck
    on them not splitting. Please let us know. We learn by doing or by
    listening to our friends here.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Some Answers for questions

Doug, I use my Oneway Talon Scroll Chuck for most of my Bowl Turning. I usually use the center screw that came with the chuck, along with the tailstock and live center to get the rough blank round. I then turn a spigot on the end that I want to be the bottom of the bowl, then chuck it up in the Talon Chuck, and have at it. I have been experimenting with parting the bowl from the blank, and I have done it several ways. If you plan ahead, you can leave some waste on the bottom of the bowl blank, near the chuck, and just part it off carefully when you have finished turning and sanding the bowl. I have also use a reverse chuck method (I think that is what they call it, it's what I call it anyway?) to finish the foot, or bottom of the bowl. I turned a section of Oak that has about a 3" diameter end on it, tapering down to resemble a morse taper that will fit my lathe. I can insert this piece of Oak in the lathe drive, tap it in lightly, and chuck the bowl up with the bottom of the inside of the bowl resting on the Oak thingy, and the tailstock with live center supporting the bottom of the bowl. I glued a piece of dense rubber-like gasket material to the Oak Thingy to help grip the bowl interior bottom. This takes some fooling with to get the bowl centered, but as long as it is close, you can then finish the bottom. I part off the tenon, or spigot, as close to the live center as I can, then just cut a small slice with a thin Skew to allow the small tenon that is left to snap off. I have used a small fine saw to cut off the tenon also, but the method I just described works well also. I will probably eventually get the Jumbo Jaws for the chuck to allow me to hold the bowl by the top rim, but I may not either, as I have had good results using the methods above. I am just a beginner, but if you need any advice or suggestions, just holler, I will gladly help you all I can!
    (I hope some of this made sense?)

what makes sense is ...

... you make some nice bowls, Kevin. good job,

b

Kevin, nice looking bowls. I like both designs as well. I keep learning more by watching what you guys post. Keep them coming.
    Bill
    Bill MacLachlan