Thread: Sam Maloof museum pieces PICS!!!!

Sam Maloof museum pieces PICS!!!!

So last week I went to San Diego and ran across a museum displaying his work, of course I had go in I uploaded most of them to my photo gallery online here is the link to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ballent...7594180839161/

and here are a few pics for the police enjoy

DSC_1962.jpg

DSC_2015.jpg

DSC_1955.jpg
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Michael,
    Thanks for sharing. I have found that the imagination, design and craftsmanship of Sam Maloof to be something that all wood workers should aspire to.

Great exhibit! Michael thanks....was that the Oceanside Museum of Art?
    They have shown his work in the past. There are some wonderful pieces in the exhibit!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Great exhibit! Michael thanks....was that the Oceanside Museum of Art?
    They have shown his work in the past. There are some wonderful pieces in the exhibit!
    Mingei in Balboa Park. I wanted to show some different angles of his work like the rounding on the back of the rocker. I never knew he did that. There are a lot details in his work. I spent a good hour photographing in there with no flash and no tripods

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Michael,
    Thanks for sharing. I have found that the imagination, design and craftsmanship of Sam Maloof to be something that all wood workers should aspire to.
    Completely agree It really was something to see.

Mike,
    I wish every creeker could meet Sam and see him work. His passion for his craft is inspriational. I think about designs differnent then I did before, not afraid to change the design while it is in the works if the piece,needs it. I find myself looking at a piece differant then I did in the past before I would move it on to the next phase of work. I spend more time roughing then I used to. I spend more time finishing. What some folks miss about Sam work is that he is not afraid to try knew and differant things.
    again thanks for sharing.

a simple example: recently LOML wanted a oak paper towel holder made from oak. The dowel to hold the towels would be fine as a simple dowel from the borg but I decided that the dowel should be from the same wood as the rest of the piece. I turned it on th lathe. No big deal but to me it was important since it was somethng I was making and I wanted everyting to be the same. In the past I wouldn't have given it another thought but now after seeing sam work it was important. When I made my Maloof inspired table and fastened the table to the pedistal I could have left the screw exposed or used off the shelf plugs. I choose to make the plugs out of ebony. Not that they were an obvious part of the piece but I wanted anyone who saw them to know the attention to detail that the piece deserved. This attention to detail is only a part of what I learned from Sam in that short workshop.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-29-2006 at 2:21 AM.

thanks michael! tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I saw that exhibit about a month ago when I was out there. I think it is pretty much the same travelling exhibit that was here in DC a few years ago, but still worth a second look.
    The bonus was the permanent stuff they had there. I can't remember all of it, but I think they had a bunch from Nakashima. The huge natural edge table is pretty spectacular.
    I'm considering going back since I'll be out there quite a bit in the next couple months. Any thing else worth seeing (other than Rockler, which I've also seen)?

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Michael-

Thanks for the tour! Looks like the new Digital SLR is performing well - excellent photographs!

Sam's work is amazing..........some brilliant stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Michael-

Thanks for the tour! Looks like the new Digital SLR is performing well - excellent photographs!

Sam's work is amazing..........some brilliant stuff
    Thanks Roy that is a great complement coming from you. I am completely loving the camera, what I can do with it is just incredible. The furniture shots were pretty tricky since I was not allowed to use a tripod nor a flash so it was brace, breath out, release the shutter Slowest shot was at 1/13th of a second f2.8.