Thread: need advise for turning hourglass tops and bottoms

need advise for turning hourglass tops and bottoms

good afternoon turners
    I am working on some hourglass projects and have all the spindles done, but now I need to turn the tops and bottoms of the hourglass.
    How would you go about doing it. they are about 8 inches in diameter and 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch thick. both sides need to be flat and decent looking. the edge will have a turned profile.

thanks
    lou

Lou ....I have limited experience but I have turned some things where both sides needed a finished smooth surface.

I'd probably treat it like a spindle project. I'd chuck up a "spindle" and turn it to a desired diameter. Then turn the number of beads required. Turn separation points between the beads to say 1/4" and remove from the lathe. A sharp parting tool can make a clean flat surface. Finish the cuts with bandsaw....handsaw.

Finish sand.

Note....the "beads" wouldn't necessarily have to have a rounded edge.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lou.........you could also treat them like a bowl or platter, turning them 1 at a time. Then you could finish turn one side using a skew to get a nice surface. Partially part the 2nd side from the tenon, turn the profile on the edge and finish parting it. Sand the 2nd side.

To my way of thinking and current skill level this would leave too much chance for not having both turn out the same diameter. Thus my first idea in the previous post.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Two words, Lou: Jamb Chuck
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Two words, Lou: Jamb Chuck
    thanks andy

lou