Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed for round bottom spokeshave

advice needed for round bottom spokeshave

I am looking at acquiring a round bottom spokeshave. As always the budget is at the bottom feeder level. Here are the choices I have uncovered so far, please let me know if there is anything else I should be looking at.

1. The Kunz at $17.78
    2. The contour planes from Lee Valley at $21.50 a pair.

I don't have any specific projects in mind, just general purpose trimming and shaping. Several times I needed to cut a concave shape and it turned out almost impossible with a flat bottom spokeshave.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I am in need of one too. I prefer the old ones myself. But from what I have read on Kunz, their stuff is not typically high quality. Usually said to be just a level above junk honestly. But I have never owned one! Just what I read.

My favorite inexpensive shave and well worth the price is the Lee Valley low angle...the shave acts as a flat bottom and a round bottom since the fence flips over ,....this is truly versitile and very useable....the ones mentioned especially the Kunz ...I don't put in this category...not even close!

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item.../05p3201sb.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-31-2006 at 6:15 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

There's these too
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=6970
    For the money, the Anants are pretty decent. I picked up one of their #8's before the LV BU-Jointer came out. I can't really find much to complain about.
    Use the fence Luke

I picked up a pair of spokeshaves ( 1 flat, 1 round ) from Harbor Freight for $10.00. Needed the curved one for cleaning up the inside of my Kayak project and it worked fine on Cedar.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    My favorite inexpensive shave and well worth the price is the Lee Valley low angle...the shave acts as a lat bottom and a round bottom since the fence flips over ,....this is truly versitile and very useable....the ones mentioned especially the Kunz ...I don't put in this category...not even close!

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item.../05p3201sb.jpg
    Considering some similarities in design, how easy or difficult is it to modify the Veritas hardware kit for a wooden spokeshave into a round bottom one by making a rounded wear plate. That way I can convert the same spoke shave from flat to round by swapping the wear plates.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Zahid

I agree totally with Mark in recommending the Veritas LA spokeshave. This is essentially a modern version of the traditional LA woodie. It has an interchangeable base that converts between flat and round bottom, a 1/8" thick A2 blade, and is fairly indestructable (cast aluminium, I believe). Why do you want to reinvent one?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the LV low angle spokeshave and like Deidre had trouble getting it working right, I don't know if she did yet or not. I finally did and it is a joy to use, so if you do get one pay close attention to the instructions.

I'll mimic what the others have said about the Lee Valley Low Angle Spoke shave... Excellent tool, especially when you consider the reasonable cost. The only complaint I have with it is the metal handles are sometime uncomfortabe when using it for prolonged periods of shaping. Good luck.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen
    Zahid

Why do you want to reinvent one?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    For starters because it's half the price (yes some of us have a tool budget ), besides I am a tinkerer the kit provides an opportunity to indulge.

Looks like the Veritas low angle is gathering momentum.

How concave a shape d'you think you'll be needing to shave? The Veritas Low Angle is a good shave, but the generous front to back size of the iron means it doesn't cope with anything but the gentler concave curves, IME.

As far as the kit goes, I've made one up as a round bottomed shave but not interchangable to flat bottomed. But then you seem to already have a flat one, yes? So maybe you're not wedded to that as an option. Anyway, should it be helpful, it's here.

Cheers, Alf

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    I am in need of one too. I prefer the old ones myself. But from what I have read on Kunz, their stuff is not typically high quality. Usually said to be just a level above junk honestly. But I have never owned one! Just what I read.
    I've read that also, but I picked up a 79 copy which I think is ok. I still need to sharpen the blades, but I think this will work fine. Time will tell how it works out, but with a little fettlin' I think this will be a fine little plane.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Frampton
    As far as the kit goes, I've made one up as a round bottomed shave but not interchangable to flat bottomed. But then you seem to already have a flat one, yes? So maybe you're not wedded to that as an option. Anyway, should it be helpful, it's here.

Cheers, Alf
    Yes and yes. Yes I have a flat spoke shave and yes I was looking at the same instructions you posted at a few sites . As I posted earlier nothing specific in mind, recently I had to shape the handle of a mallet and the need for a round bottom was felt.
    Great set of instructions btw.

Hi

Alf at The Cornish Workshop has a step-by-step on making both flat and round-bottomed spokeshaves from the Lee Valley kit. You'll need to refer to the flat bottom instructions because the round spokeshave instructions show only the variations.

Find it here: http://tinyurl.com/m4uun

Ahh, spokeshaves. I'd avoid Kunz and Anant.

I don't care for the Lee Valley low-angle one -- yet. I haven't given up on it, though.

I don't suppose it'll shock anyone to know that 2 of my 4 are Lie-Nielsen. The other is a Stanley 55.

Of the OP's listed choices, I'd pick the LV.