Thread: Brown Out and Tools Usage

Brown Out and Tools Usage

Due to the excessive heat this week. Be aware of brownouts and your tool usage. I just checked at I am running at 97 volts.

Low voltage will cause extra current draw. Any "on the edge" wiring, inadequately sized breakers, etc. could be catastrophic.

It's a good time to tune-up those hand tools!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Your tool can run slower and hotter too. Not Good.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

That's an aspect I hadn't even considered. I think I saw some of those effects the other night when a storm went through and the AC at work started making some humongous thumps. I think we were getting a leg or two fluctuating. Of course, if it is hot enough here to tax the grid, I probably won't be in my unconditioned workshop/garage using tools anyway.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

I say that if I pay for the electricity then I can use all I want.

I say:

"EVERYBODY TURN ON ALL OF YOUR ELECTRIC TOOLS AND LET THEM RUN NONSTOP, 24/7/365!!!

We'll show those power companies who's REALLY in charge. Make them meet OUR demands.

Whaddya think?

Just teasin'.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

5. While there is truth to this warning, it is not as all-encompassing as it sounds.

Induction motors can be damaged by the lowered voltage because it will cause them to run slower. It is this slower rpm that causes their current to increase because it reduces the resistance of the windings. It can also cause the start circuitry to re-engage, which dramatically increases the current in the windings.

However, this does not cause any problems with universal motors like miter saws, drills, lunchbox planers, etc. because reducing their rpm does not cause as much increase in the current levels. This is why these motors can run on any frequency, including DC, and why they can be connected to external speed controls (variable resistors).
    Last edited by Rick Christopherson; 07-31-2006 at 5:23 PM.

I think you just might be on to something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

I say that if I pay for the electricity then I can use all I want.

I say:

"EVERYBODY TURN ON ALL OF YOUR ELECTRIC TOOLS AND LET THEM RUN NONSTOP, 24/7/365!!!

We'll show those power companies who's REALLY in charge. Make them meet OUR demands.

Whaddya think?

Just teasin'.
    Mark,
    Now if we can only ensure that our electric meters will respond the same as our tools and run slower, I think you just might be on to something here.

Let me know how it works for you then I'll try it at my brother's house/shop...

Brad

Aww heck mark, I all ready had to chain the meter down 'cause it

tried to helicopter over to my neighbors yard.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence