Thread: Heading out west for a few weeks of cruising.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Heading out west for a few weeks of cruising.

Seattle to Vancouver Island via ferry, train to Comax where we pick up our boats then 2 weeks of water works. Any must see points of interest beside the spectacular scenery
    I've been to Bouchard (SP?) Gardens already .

TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler, I can't tell you the points of interest, but if you'll take me with you, I could point them out! I've always wanted to sail that area, but my sailing partner said it'd be too cold; so we never did. Have a good trip. And remember if the boat tips too much push the tiller toward the boom. (or is it the other way around?)
    18th century nut --- Carl

BTW. no pictures it didn't happen
    18th century nut --- Carl

Enjoy Tyler!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not sure where Comax is, but I've enjoyed cruising the San Juan Island area, especially liked Lopez Island. Stay safe!

Just a word of warning - I've read that guys wearing thongs look like Hors D'Oeurves to Orcas. So stay out of the water while you're wearing that .
    Use the fence Luke

The Provincial Museum near the Empress Hotel is a must see for me everytime I'm in Victoria.

Doug

Tyler, enjoy--and pics!!!
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Stop at Duncan, it's been a few years but I think it's on Highway 1 in the Cowichan Valley. There's a good restaurant there called the Pioneer House, and a woodworker would like the log decor. There's also a lot of totems in that area, a nice train to ride, and the world's largest hockey stick. We like to go to the gardens often but also downtown Victoria and the waterfront are fun, and you can go to a pub like the sticky wicket or the Elephant & Castle for a Guinness and some bangers and mash.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Jones
    The Provincial Museum near the Empress Hotel is a must see for me everytime I'm in Victoria.

Doug
    Thanks Doug been there done that. It was groovie!!

We docked at the water front for three days last time and took in all the local sites then. Most exciting was navigating the harbor with sea planes landing. Even had high tea at the Empress.
    Got the camaras charged and loaded.
    Take care.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 08-07-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Seattle to Vancouver Island via ferry, train to Comax where we pick up our boats then 2 weeks of water works. Any must see points of interest beside the spectacular scenery
    I've been to Bouchard (SP?) Gardens already .

Butchart gardens are nice, but not that exciting to me.

My brother used to live in Comox, when he was stationed at the Forces base up there. So I've been there once, and twice to Victoria.

- downtown Victoria is a lovely place, right on the harbor. Lots of nice restaurants there, and the museum, as someone else noted, is pretty nice also.

- Salt Spring Island is a nice daytrip up from Victoria, take the ferry across from Swartz bay and drive around the island. Lots and lots of different artist-types live there. You'll find carvers, quilters, painters, and so on. There is a small mountain that you can drive up to get a nice view.

- There is also a nice small marine museum in Sidney, which is close to the Ferry's there. Lots of similar touristy places on the road from Victoria north to Courtenay/Comox

- I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that if you turn off the main North/South highway onto the #4, that you'll find Cathedral Grove - which is a nice visit to see large trees. I'd also continue along to Port Alberni - I've never been there, but the inland bay should be cool, and I know a fellow WW'er (hangs out on the two Canadian forums) who lives there.

- Up in Comox you might head inland and drive up the ski hill. No snow, of course, but you get a really nice view back down toward the Straits, and also can do a bit of hiking.

- you'll have to visit the city of Vancouver if you want to visit a Lee Valley Tools store, as there isn't one on the island...

have a fun and safe trip!
    ...art

Have a good time Tyler!!

Did a cruise along the inside passage up to Prince Rupert back in '84. About all I remember is Victoria [Buchart Gardens, Empress Hotel], Prince Rupert and Alert Bay, which is an Indian village on Vancouver Island about 1/2 way up.

Have fun and take pictures bud. Ya know we like pictures.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.