Thread: Corian scraps?

Corian scraps?

From time to time I hear of woodworkers using Corian for various projects. I would like to make a couple of new inserts that cover the sink in my camper. The old ones were made of laminate over particle board and over time have gotten damp, etc. and are in bad shape. I thought Corian would be a good substitute. However, when I called a couple of cabinet and counter top shops in my area I was hit with "sticker shock"!

They were charging as much as 12 cents/square inch for their cut-offs. Because I need 2 pieces about 16" square for this project, new sink inserts would cost me over $60!!! That seems a bit high to me. (OK. A LOT HIGH!)

Anyone know of a source for Corian cut-offs at a more reasonable rate? Thanks!
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Royce,
    Contact Keith Outten. He supplies a lot of folks in the Lazer industry with there Coran.

I'd check with another counter top company. I've not done this myself, but back when I was looking for some large pieces of Corian, many told me that they got the sink cutouts for free from many counter top shops. That they were stacked up taking up space and were thrilled to get rid of some. On another note, you can look on that auction site under corian. I have seen some pieces there at fair prices. Another thing to try is visit some of the mid level and up homes being built and ask who does their counter tops. I guarantee these guys are not giving them a price rebate for the sink and stove top cut outs! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I work in a counter top shop; you shouldn't pay anything considering the size of pieces you want. I could find you chunks of granite, marble, slate, or travertine that size for free. If we dealt with Corian, I'd get some for you, but I'm thinking the closest I might be able to do would be Caesarstone, and I wouldn't be able to get any scraps of that for awhile, since it all depends on how frequently we cut it, and we really don't cut that stuff too often.

Call around, I'm sure there'll be somebody that has some. Be sure to include that you'll do the fabricating yourself, and that you don't need them to do anything-that might help.

Maaaaannnnnn.....check at other cabinet / corian shops. The one that I've contacted basically threw the stuff away and said to come and get all you can carry. It's waste to them and most of the time goes in the dumpster and then to the landfill.......Check around.....should be free for the size stuff you're looking for.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the ideas. However, I did contact 3 different shops in my area. Each of them said that they either gave the sink cut-outs to the customer in case repairs were needed in the future or to use as cutting boards. Two of the shops sold their cut-offs for what I thought was an extremely high price and the third did not have any cut-offs at this time.

I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Have you all used thin strips of Corian (~1") as drawer slides to reduce drawer friction?