Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apprentice Journal Comments page

Apprentice Journal Comments page

Story moved to another thread at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41381
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-18-2006 at 4:19 AM. Reason: moved to another thread
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

story moved to another thread.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-17-2006 at 2:28 AM. Reason: post moved to another thread
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Please do, I love a good story with what appears to be a happy ending or continuation!

I'm still waiting to hear more about what they were building in that shop. So yes do go on.

story moved to another thread
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-17-2006 at 2:28 AM. Reason: post moved to another thread
    Jr.

Yes, Please do. Dcik B.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    Should I continue this Journey?

H! yes... good stories are a delight to read, we don't see to many of them about that kind of lifestyle... I will be waiting for them.. haven't read any other good ones since I finished the wood central "Grandpa Tales" from Grandpa Augustus .. (well worth the read I assure you).
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Junior, this is a "good read", please keep going.

Maurice

Harry,

Great story, thanks for sharing! Sounds like a story my Grandpa might tell!

Jonathan

Harry, this is amazing stuff, keep going.

(edited to fix typo)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep going. I am riveted.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Harry excellent job. Since this is my first post, I should introduce myself, but this is not the place. I just wanted to say to any of the fellow creekers, if you enjoy Harry's teaching through stories and you have interest in machining or gunsmithing, Guy Lautard wrote a series of books (the Machinist's bedside reader) with this exact same style. Thanks again Harry

Craig

keep it up jr. best read i`ve had in a while. tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Outstanding Harry!!!!!! You have a very nice way of cramming a lot of information into a a compact format and yet still retain the flavor of 18th century life. please continue.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Looking at what I have done so far I think I should have used a different approach to the title, but that's the nice thing about a first draft it can be changed. I am trying to do this as a young man would who has a diary or journal and is not a writer, but just noting what and how he learned his trade.

I have some historical fact to go on, and the rest is just how I envision the trade would be taught by repetition and attention to small details to impart precision and pride in ones work. The best way to learn something is repetition and practice. After all experience is just a whole lot of mistakes that teach us what will and will not work to get the proper results.

There are a lot of daily expieriences that could be included, but I am trying to remember the subjects age when doing this and am working from my own apprenticeship experiences.

This is kind of trial run for something similar about my grandfather.

If I make any mistakes about what I envision how an apprentice would be taught, please speak up.

I am nervous about this project anyway as everyone gets to look at the first draft and I don't concider myself to be a writer.

I do ok on real short stories about my personal experiences, but they are better if I write them out than if I tell them orally as I can put descriptive words in that make it more enjoyable. I am trying to avoid that in this instance and sticking to the bare facts that a boy of this age would remember.

Thank you for the encouragement.
    Jr.