Thread: Mini Lathe

Smile Mini Lathe

Hi Folks,
    It's been a while since I posted but a first Grandchild (It's a BOY) can really eat up your time and skills. Mom (AKA daughter) suddenly needed a whole bunch of wood stuff and so her crabby old man (AKA me) had to do another run of flatwork.

Anyway, we had a few problems with the delivery. I know that there is a medical term for it but my interpretation is that he "pooped in his pond" during birth. Xrays showed that everything was OK but he was in intensive care on antibiotics for three days as a "precautionary" measure.

His name is Josiah Emmanuel Tushaus (www.tushausfamily.com). That says his initials are JET. I call him "Rocketman". He got a slow start but I'm sure that "Rocketman" will catch up soon.

Update: "Rocketman" is fine but Mom needs your prayers. http://www.graceinracine.com/Contact...BioTushaus.asp

Whatever you think or whomever you worship. Thank you.

Now, back to the mini-lathe. My cousin has been a master craftsman at flatwork for many years. However, those many years of moving big boards and timbers have taken their toll in terms of his physical abilities. Arthritic hips and shoulders have forced him to sell all of his beloved "tools".

I'm trying to get him into "turning". He has virtually no experience in that area but I think that he would love to make "sawdust" again.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on a mini-lathe. My only criteria would be that it have electronic speed control. I'm not that lazy but I hate to wash my hands after every belt change just to keep from staining the "perfect project" which I will never achieve.

I've already got him interested but please help with your suggestions and even a "must have" list for a newbie turner with incredible woodworking skills.

Thanks and Apologies for this long post.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Hi Dale

The Oneway 1018 or 1224 woudl be perfect for a master. I real joy to work on with flawless fit and finish and terrific control. It is a mini without compromise that shortens the learning curve by not having to comppensate for anything but the size of the wood it will spin.

The 1224 will hold it's value well for many years so that if he elects not to turn (perhaps the arthritic hips and shoulders will make even woodturning an un welcome recreation) then he will be able to get a fair price for the lathe.

The quality issue goes for all the stuff in woodturning. The learning curve is shorter with execlent tools and the resale value is good with execlent tools.

BTW I have never had an issue with the belt on my jet mini soiling my hands. The belt on my jet mini id a gum tan. It is the original belt back when the Jet mini was blue. I have heard that the current belts are black.

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Hi Dale,

I have to admit that Richards post about the oneway is right on the mark. I bought a Oneway 1224 in May, and it is the sweetest machine! Yes, it is a mini lathe without compromise! I don't care for the specs on the Oneway 1018. A little bit more money will get you the 1224 with more standard specs (like 1" x 8tpi spindle and #2 MT, etc.).

I was going to jump in and recommend the Jet Mini Lathe, because the new version came out with a variable speed. My Sister has decided she wants one of those. (Hey Ken, who do we talk to at GIS again?) I have been turning on a Jet Mini for the past couple of years (until I got the Oneway), and it is a great little lathe! I highly recommend it to anyone. I still have mine, and will keep it for those times when I need to take a lathe with me.

I hope this helps.

Scott.

Smile Mini-lathe

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the responses. I knew that Oneway would come up one way or another (no pun intended) They have a great product line.

I'm thinking that John may be better off with the smaller Oneway 1018 simply because he could probably use it while sitting down. However, (see below) if JET has a new mini unit with speed control, that may be worth looking at also. Does anyway have any comments on that unit? Price? Availability? etc.

My "baby" is a Powermatic 3520. I love it and that is probably the reason for my hangup with speed control. Anyway, the 3520 is so much smarter than I am that I actually come up with something useable once in a while

I also saw the Jet "mini" mentioned. I have never used one but everytime I go into my local "woodworking store" it draws me like a magnet. That is one nice looking machine. Now that they have one with speed control -- EGADS -- WHERE ARE THE CAR KEYS??

Thanks again.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Hello Scott,

I believe that the specs are the same on the 1018, as far as taper and spindle threading, at least according to the web site.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/Oneway/1018lathe_specs.htm

But I agree that the 1224 is a better buy. I am really interested in hearing some of the reviews on the new Jet Mini.

Best wishes,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Peebles
    Hello Scott,

I believe that the specs are the same on the 1018, as far as taper and spindle threading, at least according to the web site.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/Oneway/1018lathe_specs.htm

But I agree that the 1224 is a better buy. I am really interested in hearing some of the reviews on the new Jet Mini.

Best wishes,
    Dave
    Well, Dang! Maybe I should have bought the 1018! ;-)

I did notice one difference though, the 5/8" post on the tool rest. Not that that's a big deal! I hope to be getting a first hand look at the new mini Jet pretty soon.

Oh, I forgot to mention that as far as mini lathes go, another nice one is the Nova Mercury. It also has a nice variable speed controller on it. I have a number of friends that use one, and they really like them.

Scott.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    (Hey Ken, who do we talk to at GIS again?)

Scott.
    Rick Warren (owner) at 1-800-371-2220
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Gentlemen,
    However, (see below) if JET has a new mini unit with speed control, that may be worth looking at also. Does anyway have any comments on that unit? Price? Availability? etc.

I also saw the Jet "mini" mentioned. I have never used one but everytime I go into my local "woodworking store" it draws me like a magnet. That is one nice looking machine. Now that they have one with speed control --

Thanks again.

Dale T.
    I have been using a Jet Mini for a long time for my small item turnings. I absolutely love the little devil.

The Jet Mini Variable Speed is presently on sale at General Industrial Supply (www.generalindussupply.com) for $289.00. Call 1-800-371-2220 and ask for Rick Warren (owner). If Rick is not available ask to speak with Larry. Tell them you are a SMC Member.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    I'm thinking that John may be better off with the smaller Oneway 1018 simply because he could probably use it while sitting down.
    Dale, he would need a custom bench or stool in order to use the OneWay 1018 (or 1224) sitting down. The motor and VFD is not contained within the unit and mounts in the cabinet that comes with the machine. I've included a picture below that shows this clearly. Please note that the 1018 show has the optional bed extension installed.

As to the machine, there is probably no finer mini/midi lathe available than the OneWay 1018/1224. My one and only complaint is that I rapidly outgrew the swing of the machine. If I can find a machinist to make a riser system for me, it will allow me to keep it a little longer. If not, I'll be scraping together the bucks for a Stubby in the recent future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-23-2003 at 9:42 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Ken!

I called Rick and he is checking on shipping options for me. My Sister told me Sunday that she wants one of the VS Jets. I have been infecting my Brother with the turning virus lately as well!

Scott.

To all you Oneway guys

Just got my Oneway catalog today, and am starting to gear myself up to the idea if a new 1224. What chucks and accessories do you find useful/indispensable? In the (long ago) past I did some spindle turning, and a bowl or two; for the future I'd love to fool with making tool handles, litle boxes, and on up from there.

So whip it on me, guys--what will I need? And is Oneway the place to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by John Wadsworth
    Just got my Oneway catalog today, and am starting to gear myself up to the idea if a new 1224. What chucks and accessories do you find useful/indispensable? In the (long ago) past I did some spindle turning, and a bowl or two; for the future I'd love to fool with making tool handles, litle boxes, and on up from there.

So whip it on me, guys--what will I need? And is Oneway the place to get it?
    The OneWay Talon chuck is an excellent addition to the setup. You may also want to buy a two or four tooth drive center as the machine only comes with a "safety" center. That's good for some work and when learning to use the skew, etc., but for holding heavy bowl or vessel blanks between centers for initial shaping you'll want a bit more grip. You really don't need a whole lot more initially...other than turning tools (if you don't have them, I suggest you buy separate tools appropriate to your intended tasks, rather than sets which often have things you don't need or are of lesser quality. No savings there!), sharpening arrangements and most importantly, safety gear. The latter includes a full face shield.

Buying from OneWay direct is not a problem, but you may want to check with places like Highland Hardware, Packard Woodworks, etc., to see if you might get quicker delivery. Some of these firms put in stock orders of the smaller machines. (I had to wait 7 weeks for my 1018!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Rockler store here in Mesquite Texas has the multi speed jet mini with the extension bed on sale for 249.95, they also throw in an apron and a $20.00 gift certificate, guess I'll be getting Ken to give me lessons soon, don't know how I can turn that deal down.

I should have never gone to Terry Hatfields I had now idea how much fun making bowl kits could be.

By the way, thanks to Ken for the avatar, now everyone can see the purty me.

Thanks, Jim--I was going to order a spur drive center and one of the Oneway chucks. I do have a bunch of turning tools, acquired long ago and allegedly of very good steel--I'll give a skew, parting tool and a couple of gouges a touchup on the Tormek and see how they do.

As to delivery, Oneway now says they're down to two weeks on the 1224.

Many thanks for the response--

John