Thread: oneway balancing system question

oneway balancing system question

Does anyone know if the Oneway balancing system would work with Delta's gr450 grinder? The reason I ask is because of the quick change feature on this model grinder. If anyone here has this setup, please let me know how it's working out for you.

Thanks
    Liem

2. Hi Liem,

I am unfamiliar with that grinder, so cannot address the issue as regards them working together.

While there may be someone here who knows, calling Oneway might provide a surer answer.

Take care, Mike

Didn't know what it was either, googled ( don't know if it is a verb).

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/onwybalrvu.html

They're closed

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Hi Liem,

I am unfamiliar with that grinder, so cannot address the issue as regards them working together.

While there may be someone here who knows, calling Oneway might provide a surer answer.

Take care, Mike
    Oneway is closed for the day. (so early)
    I was hoping for a quick answer so I can run to Woodcraft before they close too.
    But thanks anyway

Liem

Liem - It's my understanding that the quick change feature refers to a speed control issue as opposed to a wheel change issue. And as such I cannot imagine why Oneway's balancing kit would be in conflict with it.

I've got the kit on my cheapo Ryobi grinder and it made the world of difference to edge on my tools.
    Only the Blue Roads

it's wheel

Andy
    Actually they refer to the wheels. You have to see it to understand what I mean. I think that you have to use the special flange that comes with the grinder. The oneway system requires you to use their flange, am I right?

Thanks
    Liem

Yes, the OneWay balancing system requires use of their flanges...they ARE integral to the balancing! (And it's the best investment I've made for my grinder to-date...) If you don't already have the grinder you ask about, Woodcraft has their slow-speed unit on sale again for $79 right now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the grinder

Jim
    I bought the grinder 2 days ago. The Wolverine jig has been setup and used on it. It works very well, but there seems to be more vibration compared to my old cheap 6" grinder. That's why I really want to try the oneway balancing system. I've already emailed Oneway. Hopefully it'll work.

Thanks

Liem

I have the same grinder I think - Delta 6" variable speed with the quick change wheels - so I'm curious about how this turns out.

I find it -very- difficult to get the stones to mount square with this grinder. Every time I locked the stones down they were at a different angle.

-Joe

Liem, you can make it work, but--you will have to buy some 5/8" nuts (plus washers) to replace the QC flanges that come on the Delta, as the stock QC flange is too wide and hits the balancing bolt heads. You will also have to find a left hand 5/8" bolt for the left side. Another failing of this grinder is that it will over heat badily if you attempt to use a Beal Buff system with it. Since it is a DC motor it doesn't seem able to apply adiquite power without overheating. I buffed three bowls, using all three wheels, and the labels were starting to blister on the unit.

Joe, you need to get rid of the washer closest to the motor housing and replace them with some good 5/8" washers. My Delta had the same problem, which I thought the Oneway system would correct, only to discover the flange problem Liem brought up.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Oneway's Answer

Here's the reply I got from Oneway, hope this helps.
    Cecil Thanks for your help too.

Hello Liem,
    Yes our balancing kit will fit on this grinder but you will need a couple of regular 5/8 washers to get the spacing you need. You will also need to put the right hand flange on the left side of the grinder and left on the right. When you do this in order to keep the threads going the right way you have to put the side with the weight to the inside of the grinder. Then everything fits just fine. You will not require new wheels.

Regards
    Kevin Clay

Web Site: http://www.oneway.ca
    Phone: 1800-565-7288
    Fax: (519) 271-8892
    Last edited by Liem Tran; 08-03-2006 at 5:10 PM.

Well there ya go. A response from Kevin Clay is about as close to the proverbial "horse's mouth" as it gets. He's never steered me wrong.
    Only the Blue Roads