Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a Table Saw

Craftsman

I just purchased the Craftsman 22104 (sale $449) and got a Bies 7' rails and fence on sale at Amazon for ($219).

Got rid of the "stamped steel wings" and built an extension table out of 2x6, 3/4" melamine and 3/4" frame. Just got my WWII blade resharpened, also bought a dedicated Freud crosscut and dedicated Freud Rip blade, already owned the Freud 6" dado set.

Couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 08-03-2006 at 2:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    I'm happy to hear of your good experience. As a former Sears franchise store owner, I know what corporate policy has been. My conscience couldn't take it. And, I rarely shop with them.
    Maybe things have gotten better since you left Really though, I have, Delta,Jet,Dewalt, Porter Cable and even an HF dust collector in my shop. No Grizzly stuff 'cause I can't seem to get them to even send a catalog ! The worst customer service I have had was Dewalt, The industry has gone through a lot of changes the past few years and I think some have gotten better, some worse, so to rule out a brand based on what might have been an old policy is not fair to the OP. I like to get the most bang for my buck and at the time the CM fit my needs, and to date I must say, it has been a great saw that has filled my needs, with great customer service. But even that could change next week !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Hey Joel
    Did you consider buying a old american made machine, I buy nothing but old american made machines for my shop,maybe a old unisaw or general or a powermatic 66... I just bought a mint condition old Powermatic super shaper 27s for the price of a new taiwanese model w/ a smaller table and motor. The resale value of American made machines hold up alot better.
    Just my 2 cents.......
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Hybrid TS

Joel:

After much modificatiosn--link belt/cast iron wings from Harbor Freight/re-engineed quick release for guard/riving knife/Freud blade, etc.--I like my Hitachi C10FL ($500 at Lowes).

HOWEVER, with the addition of a full complement of the EZ Guide set of circular saw/router guides and clamps--this tool is not being used that heavily any more.

When it comes to breaking dwn heavy panesl of plywood/MDF, the EZ system can't be beat.

The TS, however, is still used for other tasks that the EZ system is not well suited to.

BILL FIELDS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    A number of folks here have expressed their liking of the Grizzly hybrid.
    Mark,

I had heard you can't buy Grizzly in Canada.

Advertised horsepower no longer has any meaning. Manufacturers are using the maximum number of watts consumed when the lights go out as well as assuming 100% efficiency (electric motor efficiency is about 65%) in order to prevaricate about their HP. Operating Amps do mean something. 1HP equals approximately 12 Amps at 110VAC or 6 Amps at 220VAC. This makes 1.5HP (real HP) the practical max for a typical 20Amp 110VAC circuit. Your new saw motor will run cooler (last longer) if it wired to run on 220VAC and it will give more effective and smoother power. As for the saw. They don't make them like they used to.