Thread: Where to get plans for wood outlet covers and switchplates???

Where to get plans for wood outlet covers and switchplates???

Hi:

Does anyone know where to get plans for making wood switchplates and outlet covers?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-10-2006 at 6:48 AM.

trace the plastic ones? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I made some several years ago for a log home out of pine.
    That was a learning experience.

I first mortised the holes, drilled and countersunk screw holes, etc.

Then I proceeded to route out the back side for clearance.

After destroying all of those with the router, I backed up and routed the backside first, blank being larger than it should be so I could hang on to it.
    Then I mortised and drilled the holes.

I discovered there was no money to be made in making them

I made a custom plate for a friend a few months ago. If my information is correct, they require a metal plate on the back to meet code. At least that seems to be the code around here. The plate also adds some strength so they don't split between the holes so easily.

For the one I made which had to be wider than the stock wooden plates, I bought a cheap wood plate and pulled the metal plate off the back.

I used a drilled the screw holes and countersunk them, then I used the holes as references for the switch hole which I cut with my router on the Legacy Mill. It was easy enough to do but I think if I had a bunch to make I'd make templates of 1/4" MDF that would allow me to use a guide bushing and a small router bit.

You might also check this place to see if they already offer what you want. http://www.woodwallplates.com/