Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Customer Service Rant!

Arn't Woodcraft stores franchise stores ? If so I'd call the store manager and let him know about the slip up/broken promise. I know that if I called the manager of the Chandler store hi wouldn't be a happy camper.

Lately, there has been a lot of business bashing going on here at SMC.

Speaking from as a small business owner, this is distrubing. It makes me feel very uneasy. Most businesses whether small or large will do their best to serve the customer.

Couple questions that pop up in my mind Forrest.

First, did you need this particularly item to meet a deadline for a business transaction?

If not, then (I most respectfully submit) relax a bit.

You haven't told us why, the package was not shipped on the promised day, just that it wasn't shipped.

Things happen in small business, especially given that you were dealing with a local franchise, rather than a Central Order Desk at Headquarters.

Second, What time did you call your local Woodcraft with your order on Tuesday? If it is to be picked up by UPS, said co. has certain pick-up deadlines to meet UPS's required deadlines.

(I realize that in your case, this was not the issue, but I just mention this in order to make others aware that UPS pick-up deadlines may not be met on a particular day and that the next pick-up maybe a day or two later)

Third, remember you were probably talking to new a employee and that employee may not have known everything involved with shipping. If a store doesn't regularly ship items out, there are a whole host of issues to deal with such as, finding a box that will fit the item, packaging, address labels, finding a phone number for the FED EX, UPS etc office for local pick-up or in some cases after the product is packaged actually taking the package to the local drop of center for FEDEX or UPS. I hope I am painting the correct picture here. Remember, your item was probably packaged, labelled, addressed, etc by a floor salesperson, not a shipping clerk.

Fourth, you never know how busy the store got with local business after your order.

Fifth, things happen. Please, please, please. give the store personnell the benefit of the doubt.

Respectfully
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 08-03-2006 at 8:43 PM.

I echo Joe's sentiment; although I have been on Forrest's side of the event all too often.

But here's one that counters it. And it's "local", too.

When I ordered the lathe with which we bombed Ken Fitzgerald last winter I decided that I wanted to order it from someone as proximal to him as possible so as to provide him with a local built in relationship with the tool seller. Got on line; saw that the Spokane store was due to open in a couple of weeks but didn't want to wait.

So I called the Boise, Idaho WC; plead my case for the best deal possible - and got it; and firmed up the purchase. This was at 10 AM Boise time. By 1PM Boise time, the same guy I'd spoken with called me back and reported that he'd just dropped the box off at the FedEx place. Three days later the credit card receipt arrives in my mailbox. Six days later the lathe finally arrives in Lewiston, ID (200 miles north of Boise) after a trip that took it to Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, back to Portland, up to Spokane, and finally to Lewiston.

If it isn't one thing, it's always something.

Oh! And a month later, the sales guy calls me to ask how everything went, we spoke briefly, and I gave him Ken's number.

I have no trouble with WC.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Lately, there has been a lot of business bashing going on here at SMC.

This was not business bashing, just customer service bashing.

You haven't told us why, the package was not shipped on the promised day, just that it wasn't shipped.

Actually I did. Read paragraph 3 line 2.

Respectfully
    Joe
    OK folks, just remember I had the word "rant" in the title on this. That right there should have let some of you in on the mood at the time. We all need a little rant now and then.

I told you I had a pet peeve with poor customer service. Go back, some of you, and carefully read what I was told originally by the person that answered, that also told me she was in charge of the shipping.

Work ethics should mean the world to any business, big or small. Without good work ethics, your business can never fully prosper.

This was not labled "Woodcraft sucks" so it should not have been taken as business bashing as suggested here. It had everything to do with poor customer service received from my nearest/local branch of a particular business.

Any business, big or small, if they promise their customer something, and can't deliver, should contact that customer to let them know there has been a delay. That would be considered good work ethics. Sure, things happen. No problem, do what you can, keep the customer in the loop and take care of business.

Shoot, when I was in the industry, I was on call 24hrs a day to my entire customer base. I've made runs 200 miles one way in the middle of the night to pick up and deliver supplies to get my cutomer going ASAP.

If I EVER told one of my customers to "go have a good meal, it'll be there by Saturday" I'd have been looking for a new customer, and most likely a new job!

Work ethics folks, some have `em, some don't.

Now, I'd be happy to drop this right here, but if some of you want to continue to tell me I've got my head screwed on wrong, and what was told and done to me should be considered normal-everyday-made-in-America-business-as-normal, then I'll stay right here and defend my right to proper customer service and work ethics to the bitter end.

PS, I really do like Woodcraft, have bought from them in the past, and will continue to buy from them in the future. Nothing against the company as a whole, just the cutomer service I received from the local branch as originally stated.

I'm in TOTAL agreement with you Forrest. That is UNACCEPTABLE service. And I work for a Woodcraft location!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Forrest.

I still don't know why your package wasn't shipped on Tuesday.

The answer given you by the lady wasn't an answer to your inquiry.

You could have asked for more specifics.

Joe

I never thought of ordering from my "local" Woodcraft either. After they had been in business for about 3 years, I asked them about shipping something one day. The manager was hesitant, then said "of course we can". I suspect the local stores don't do a lot of shipping.

Our (personal business) store ships things every so often. When we do, since we have no shipping department, it means that it has to fit in with the rest of the activities of the day. If we have a couple of busy days in a row where we stay open late an hour or two, it won't likely happen on those days. We do try to let people know ahead of time that things may not ship immediately. Then we try to get them out ASAP. But a "one shot" UPS takes another day...

David

Forrest...........I'm sorry to hear about your dilemna! I wished I'd have known you needed something! I was in that Woodcraft Store today....Sharon spent a lot of money there today. The next time you are in Spokane....stop there........ask for Nick! Nick...his wife...I can't remember her name and his son Denny own the store. Tell Nick about the problem you had. I'm betting he'll make it right for you. I told Nick in February about me being bombed. A couple of weeks ago I told him about the upcoming doubleheader bombing and about Woodcraft Corporates very generous donations. I let him and his son know I could buy stuff cheaper on the internet than I could at this local store but I wanted to support the local store (I like to fondle tools before I buy....) and therefore was willing to drive 4.5 hours roundtrip. He immediately offered me a discount whenever I drive to Spokane and shop there. He told me to make sure that he or his son waited on me and mention the amount of the discount. Today his son Denny gave Sharon that discount on a bill of over $700.

Talk with Nick. I'll bet you'll find this is a one time mistake!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    I never thought of ordering from my "local" Woodcraft either. After they had been in business for about 3 years, I asked them about shipping something one day. The manager was hesitant, then said "of course we can". I suspect the local stores don't do a lot of shipping.

I figure, that must be the case here as well.

Our (personal business) store ships things every so often. When we do, since we have no shipping department, it means that it has to fit in with the rest of the activities of the day. If we have a couple of busy days in a row where we stay open late an hour or two, it won't likely happen on those days. We do try to let people know ahead of time that things may not ship immediately. Then we try to get them out ASAP. But a "one shot" UPS takes another day...

David
    An excellent example of good work ethics!

Good on ya Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Forrest...........I'm sorry to hear about your dilemna! I wished I'd have known you needed something! I was in that Woodcraft Store today....Sharon spent a lot of money there today. The next time you are in Spokane....stop there........ask for Nick! Nick...his wife...I can't remember her name and his son Denny own the store. Tell Nick about the problem you had. I'm betting he'll make it right for you. I told Nick in February about me being bombed. A couple of weeks ago I told him about the upcoming doubleheader bombing and about Woodcraft Corporates very generous donations. I let him and his son know I could buy stuff cheaper on the internet than I could at this local store but I wanted to support the local store (I like to fondle tools before I buy....) and therefore was willing to drive 4.5 hours roundtrip. He immediately offered me a discount whenever I drive to Spokane and shop there. He told me to make sure that he or his son waited on me and mention the amount of the discount. Today his son Denny gave Sharon that discount on a bill of over $700.

Talk with Nick. I'll bet you'll find this is a one time mistake!
    Ken, glad to hear it!! I will make a trip up there. I talked with 3 people on that order, and I'll bet it was the 3 you mentioned.

Perhaps, she was making a joke of it, and I just didn't "get it" at the time.

This one is worse :(

When I learned that you can't get a discount on Festool, I went to my local Woodcraft to check out their 1/2 sheet sander. The woodcraft didn't have on in stock, but they ordered one for me to try. This was in early April. I called 2 weeks later and no sander yet, guy said they had an order going in the next week. Finally in early May the sander arrived (I had to call to see even though they said they would call). I decided to buy the sander, as well as a vacuum hose, and a $300 assortment of sandpaper. I had the Woodcraft hold the sander until the rest came in. I've called once every 3 weeks or so, and they still don't have the hose, sander, and paper all in for me to pick up. On the last call, the guy said he thought maybe they forgot to send the order in for the sandpaper. I haven't paid yet, and still don't have the sander or paper. I may just let it sit there once it's all in stock, as this has now taken 4 month. Here here for supporting your local brick and mortar stores.

Joe, my "local" store manager (100 miles away actually) told me that they had a minimum order on Fein when they ran out of the vacuum model that I wanted. I was not in a "bind" for it so I waited. But it did take the small store a couple of months to get the order together. Then, it took the manufacturer a bit to get a wholesale order together. This was one of the few items that I didn't "have to have tomorrow". I waited and got it from them. And I appreciated the fact that they told me up front that it might/would take some time to get the order together. Timing of special orders can be a struggle for small businesses. And we are so use to fairly instant gratification, that it is easy to not hear the seller mention the possible delay. Also, with competition, it is easy to forget to SAY the possible delay. Of course, this is NOT good business nor good business ethics!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    When I learned that you can't get a discount on Festool, I went to my local Woodcraft to check out their 1/2 sheet sander. The woodcraft didn't have on in stock, but they ordered one for me to try. This was in early April. I called 2 weeks later and no sander yet, guy said they had an order going in the next week. Finally in early May the sander arrived (I had to call to see even though they said they would call). I decided to buy the sander, as well as a vacuum hose, and a $300 assortment of sandpaper. I had the Woodcraft hold the sander until the rest came in. I've called once every 3 weeks or so, and they still don't have the hose, sander, and paper all in for me to pick up. On the last call, the guy said he thought maybe they forgot to send the order in for the sandpaper. I haven't paid yet, and still don't have the sander or paper. I may just let it sit there once it's all in stock, as this has now taken 4 month. Here here for supporting your local brick and mortar stores.

Forrest-

Like Lee said--order from the HQ place in West Virginia that is set up to take orders and ship them.

I've had good luck w/ Woodcraft--the best luck w/ Rockler.

BILL FIELDS
    Last edited by Bill Fields; 08-04-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Forrest:

I see you changed the title of this thread to Customer Service Rant, from Woodcraft Rant or was it Woodcraft Service Rant.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Forrest:

I see you changed the title of this thread to Customer Service Rant, from Woodcraft Rant or was it Woodcraft Service Rant.

Joe
    Yes Joe, it was Woodcraft SERVICE Rant.

Thought this might clarify the reason for the original post some.

Way to be on the ball!