Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router options - Bosch 1617 vs Dewalt

Router options - Bosch 1617 vs Dewalt

Sorry if I've been posting too much asking too many questions but I'll be sure to help out where I can. I'm looking at buying a new router. Right now I'm borrowing my dad's Rockwell D-handle and Black and Decker fixed base. They both only take 1/4" bits and I bought a bit set, but now I think I'm better off getting my own new router and exchanging the bits for the 1/2" variety ( I've not yet used them). I started looking around, reading reviews etc, and am having trouble deciding. I can get the Bosch 1617 evs with the plunge base for $229 Can, or the Dewalt for a little more ( I don't have the model # on hand).

The router will be used for a variety of tasks from small furniture to helping me reface old kitchen cabinets.

Three questions:

1. How important is the shank size. I realize will small bits it's not too important but when does it become an issue
    2. Is it silly tro try and use a plunge base? I've heard mixed reviews
    3. If yes, how is the Milwaukee 5615 body grip fixed router? I like the grip idea and have had great luck with all my Milwaukee tools, but the same can be said of Bosch and Dewalt.

From what I've read most people end up with a handful of routers, but if a combo kit might suffice for the next while then that would be perfect.

Thanks for the input,

Marlow

The Dewalt 618 (2 1/4hp) is a very nice router; plenty of power, soft start and nice handles that are positioned well. I own the 618 and the Makita 1101 and while both are nice i reach for the Dewalt first.

I suggest a router that accepts 1/2" bits.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I don't know quite what I'd do without a plunge router. I use the plunge feature to make mortises (lots and lots of mortises), to bore for shelf pegs, to make recesses for inlays, and much more. I can't see much reason to bother having a fixed base.

And yes, 1/2" collets are good thing. I can't see much reason to bother with a router which will not accept them.

Brian,

The bit issue is very I should exchange the bits I got (1/4") for 1/2". None of the bits are very large, but if 1/2" is better than it is no cost to upgrade. The drawback is that they wouldn't work with the older routers I'm borrowing and might borrow again in the future.

Thanks,

Marlow

I'm sure either model will serve you well. But for sure get someting that accepts 1/2" shanks. As your needs ramp up you'll be glad you did.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

marlow, you didn`t mention the brand router that most folks i know use.....portercable. it`s been my experience that the 690 series is very good for most hand work, the 7518 is a true production router and the 310 is a bulletproof laminate trimmer. if you decide to look at these units i`d advise against the new 890 series, they haven`t been "time-tested" yet. for a plunge router try the 7538. all these except 310 come with both the 1/2 and 1/4" collets.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Blog Entries
    I saw no reason for a plunge router till I finally got a good powerful router for my router table. Now I seem to have 3 other fixed base routers and I'm wishing for a plunge. I would strongly consider a fixed / plunge kit. If I would have done that first I would probably only have a couple of routers . . . OK I made that up. However, with a kit, if you get hooked on the plunge for free hand work the fixed base can stay in a router table and you can swap the motor back and forth (thinking future proofing here).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"2. Is it silly tro try and use a plunge base? I've heard mixed reviews"

Plungers are the safety option for dangerous fixed base operations. They do more than that but that is a nice option.
    Would consider the PK's, there are 10! They might differ x the price of one cheap straight bit. There is no reason to split dollars with all this value.
    More on selection.

Marlow, I think most decent name-brand routers which use a 1/2" bit collet also have a 1/4" collet available. So no need to replace 1/4" bits you already have; just a 10 sec change of collets.

My Dewalt plunge router came with both collet sizes.

I never used the plunge feature on my router in 4 years and just sold it last month. FWIW, I loved my Milwaukee 5615, but would suggest stepping up to the 5616 with VS, softstart, and a bit more power, although the 5615 wasn't shy on power by any means. The Freud FT-1700 has great table features in a midsize....

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116
    http://www.epinions.com/content_209968074372
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    marlow, you didn`t mention the brand router that most folks i know use.....portercable. it`s been my experience that the 690 series is very good for most hand work, the 7518 is a true production router and the 310 is a bulletproof laminate trimmer. if you decide to look at these units i`d advise against the new 890 series, they haven`t been "time-tested" yet. for a plunge router try the 7538. all these except 310 come with both the 1/2 and 1/4" collets.....02 tod

Just to let you know Tod, the 7518 (I'm not sure about the others) doesn't come with a 1/4" collet but it is available as an accessory. I just got the 7518 from Amazon and in the nomenclature it mentions that it is an accessory.

Come to think of it, wasn't it you that offered to send me one?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow Wilson
    Brian,

The bit issue is very I should exchange the bits I got (1/4") for 1/2". None of the bits are very large, but if 1/2" is better than it is no cost to upgrade. The drawback is that they wouldn't work with the older routers I'm borrowing and might borrow again in the future.

Thanks,

Marlow
    Most 1/2" routers come with a 1/4" collet.

As to exchanging the bit set I'm not sure. Is it a high quality set? Does it have a mostly useful set of profiles? Personally i prefer buying bits as i need them as the one set i did buy only contained a couple useful bits. (1/4" straight and 1/8" and 1/4" round overs) It really depends on what your needs are.

Higher quality bits will yield better (cleaner) profiles and last much much longer. Food for thought

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    I loved my Milwaukee 5615, but would suggest stepping up to the 5616 with VS, softstart, and a bit more power,
    Same here. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Just to let you know Tod, the 7518 (I'm not sure about the others) doesn't come with a 1/4" collet but it is available as an accessory. I just got the 7518 from Amazon and in the nomenclature it mentions that it is an accessory.

Come to think of it, wasn't it you that offered to send me one?

whoops! yup it was me who offered to send you one...same offer for marlow if he finds himself in need..tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Router choices

Marlowe,
    Both Bosch and DeWalt make great routers. I have both. My personal preference is for the Bosch, but I'm not sure why....

If most of your work is edge treatments (round-overs, chamfer, etc.), then a plunge router isn't that important. If you plan to use a router table with a 'lift', then a plunge isn't that important. Otherwise, you definitely want a plunge router. They are great for mortises.

Definitely buy something that will accept both a 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch collet.

This forum sometimes gets caught up in brand name loyalty or hatred. Don't sweat it. Both Bosch and DeWalt make good tools.

I think one of the main things that would decide for me is the feel of the tool. If you are taking the router to the work, then the weight matters a lot. Be sure you are comfortable with how the tool fits your hands and the ease of adjustments. Its also very important that the on/off switch is easily accessible.

My 2 cents...