Thread: May I get a quick answer to a quick question please? PC 690/9690?

May I get a quick answer to a quick question please? PC 690/9690?

My old Ryobi died.

What is the difference between the PC 690 and the 9690?

Is one better than the other?

Or should I get the Dewalt?

I need a small (short), fixed base router for turning small bits. I already have a big plunge and a big PC 7518 in my router table. This will be for hand use in small tight spaces.

Thanks very much for your advice.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 08-06-2006 at 4:09 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Original 690 is 1-1/2hp, base has a thumb screw.
    9690LR is 1-3/4hp, with lever lock base.

About the only difference between the horsepower and base lock, is the switch. They went from the old tried and true toggle switch to a lever switch. I prefer the toggle switch.
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 08-06-2006 at 7:56 PM.

Well, Mark, you wanted a quick answer - how about two quick contradictory answers?

My PC catalog says 690LR is the lever lock version. I'm pretty sure the 9690 is just a regular 960 with a case. But I wouldn't sweat the difference between the 690 variants too much - get whichever is the best deal.

I need one right now and my local HD only has the 9690. I didn't know if one was better than the other or not.

While playing with the 9690 in HD I noticed that the adjusting was kinda funky; the graduated ring just turned and turned and the body didn't go up or down.?.?.? What's up with that?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Display. (hey I figured you wanted a quick answer here, too) Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Nothing against the PC or DeWalt routers but one more option that HD usually has is the Milwaukee 5615. I have the 5615 and really like it. The Mil 5616 would be a better buy than the 5615 for the money but my local HD does not stock it. You might want to compare the PC, DeWalt and Milwaukee side by side.

Allen

Four digit Porter Cable numbers usually denote a kit. The current 690 is the 690LR (lever release); the same router with a case is the 9690LR. If it were me I'd pony up the extra $ for the variable speed version (690LRVS). The newer 1 3/4 hp 690's turn at 27,500 rpm vs 23,000 rpm of the old 1 1/2 hp 690's. The VS should give you more latitude in the size of bits you can run. The 690 was and is a great router but I don't care much for the "improvements" they've made to the 690 and prefer the older 1 1/2 hp 690. The old toggle switch has a much more positive feel than the mushy feeling rocker switch now used and the old thumbscrew is much easier to manage for these arthritic old paws of mine than the current lever release.

While playing with the 9690 in HD I noticed that the adjusting was kinda funky; the graduated ring just turned and turned and the body didn't go up or down.?.?.? What's up with that?

The ring on the fixed base doesn't adjust the height. You turn the ring to zero it against a line in the motor body. Then you turn the body to adjust the height. As you turn the body of the motor, the line will tell you how much you changed the height.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

If you want a small router Mark then definitely consider the DW618. It is a nice low sqwatty feeling router and the plus is that it is 2 1/4 HP. Lots of power in a great feeling router and it's depth adjustment ring works great.

Corey

Nothing to do with it being a display model. The depth adjusts by loosening the lock nut or lever, and turning the motor in the base. The plastic ring is just an indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Don't feel bad Mark. I did the same thing the first time that I looked at one. I thought to myself, "boy this is a piece of junk---brand new and already broken".