Thread: Weekend Accomplishments.....

Weekend Accomplishments.....

Well....another weekend has come and gone. No shop time for me this past weekend, but I did get to spend it with family and friends. Sometimes it is just nice to take a break and spend time with "people" rather than "wood"....but _rarely_.........

What about your weekend? Any shop time?

Best of weeks....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I had a little shop time this weekend Dennis. I am finishing up a Slot Car Box for a customer in NC, and I managed to give the lathe some time as well. I turned another Maple Bowl, I will get around to posting a picture of it soon. Sunday it was off to the Dome in St. Louis to witness the Rams FINALLY get it all together, with the exception of a special teams hiccup that resulted in a kick return for a TD. Other than that, it was a great day...............I always like to see the Rams whup up on the Arizona Cardinals. Don't feel bad Arizona Fans, we can remember your team, and we can remember what the pain feels like!

No shop time, worked on fixing a leaking control valve on my irrigation system and moved some sprinkler heads. Started designing a custom entertainment center for my big screen. I hope to have the designs done this week and pick up some lumber next week. I have got the nascar and Busch series races coming up this weekend so no time in the shop is expected soon.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I spent the whole day (Saturday) in the shop, but I was rearranging the setup. The work wasn't flowing the way that I wanted. I am not certain if the new setup is any better, but I will give it a try and see. It was a long day, but if things work better then it was worth it. If they don't it is a case of live and learn. This week actual woodworking will take place (I hope!)
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Oh, lot's o' shop time......

....but it's my stinkin' life. Had to get out two rush jobs. Then mow an acre lot. I'm havin' more fun than the law allows
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Saturday morning I spent cooking up another batch (#3) of beer--an English Amber Ale. Then it was off to a dreary and cool softball game, which we won on the mercy rule. I had a great game (4/4, including a line drive that almost took off the 1Bman's glove, couple scores, couple good CF catches), but unfortunately, it looks like our pitcher broke his foot running the bases. Sunday was LOMLWMBO's b-day, so we went out for lunch after church, then some neighbors came over in the afternoon for football on TV, brownies, ice cream, cappucinos and shooting the breeze. I played hooky today from work, since the guy I was supposed to be working with decided to play golf this morning, so I spent a little time on the lathe. That's all for me.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

We spent an extended weekend at the Adam Matthew's Cheesecake Hot Air Balloon Festival in Louisville, Kentucky. It is a well done event. Lots of fun!

While in Louisville, we visited the Louisville Slugger factory and museum. It's a great place to visit. You can walk right next to bats that are being made for most of the MLB players. I saw a group of Albert Pujols bats being made. These guys can really crank out the bats with their automated lathes. I would highly recommend the tour if you are ever passing through Louisville.
    JB

The last major operation for the kitchen was finally completed by Sunday night...the tile backsplashes are installed and grouted. LOML will clean them up a little more and seal the grout this week while I'm traveling in Texas on business. I can finally start to get back to working in the shop on the coming weekends...maybe even get some lathe work in...while paint dries, etc!

Saturday also afforded a nice time at the Doylestown Arts festival where I finally got to hear a friends vocal group perform (she's a member of SMC, too!) and browse the great arts and crafts. There were a few "spinny" folks with booths and some outstanding work. We also took LOML's brother and family to the Michener Art Museum...two things there of interest to woodworkers are an outstanding bench by Robert Whitley (sp?) and of course, the Nakashima Reading Room featuring classic furniture and design by the late artist.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool

No "official" shop time, but I did make a bunch of sawdust. Started moving smaller stuff over to the new shop and the former owner had let a bunch of scraggly lumber & cutoffs laying on the main storage rack. Took all that stuff down, salvaged what I could and cut the rest up for kindling to burn in the shop wood stove. Besides a few pieces suitable for smaller shelves, I did walk away with one nice prize: A 7-8' long by @ 8" wide, piece of 4/4 Birdseye Maple that he was kind enough to overlook! I also found that his stories about real good insulation in there, may be true to his word. Fired up the stove and had to open doors to help cool it off! Then, although it wasn't zero or such overnight, it still got to the upper 30's, which is cool enough to drop temps in a stand-alone building quite rapidly. Went back there Sun. morning and, even though the stove fire had died about 6:00 the previous evening, it was still 62*f in there! Not bad. The rest of the weekend was packing and hauling. Only 2-1/2 more weeks of this! Have a great week, everyone!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Shop Time

Finished the "Back Saver Panel Cart". Built a 10' miter saw station and am now attempting to figure out the dust collection to the miter saw. Now I have wall & base shop cabinets to build. Good thing I am retired and have the time.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

No Shop Time

Spent the weekend camping with friends. Saturday was spent canoeing and catching a few smallmouth. All in all, a good weekend.

Bob

Talladega

I spent last week end at the Racetrack in Talladega, Alabama. My Brother Tap and I were the guests of Bill Davis Racing and watched the race from the Pit Area of the Caterpillar #22 Dodge driven by Ward Burton.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zack Jennings
    I spent last week end at the Racetrack in Talladega, Alabama. My Brother Tap and I were the guests of Bill Davis Racing and watched the race from the Pit Area of the Caterpillar #22 Dodge driven by Ward Burton.

Well Zack.....you weren't but a very few miles from my aunt and uncles house there. All my relatives live in Alabama (Huntsville, Guntersville, Ft. Payne, Union Grove, Alex City, Talladega, and Prattville). Hope you had a nice time while there. Some of my old stompin' grounds.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, kinda late posting here--but

here goes.
    Started 4 24x48 base cabinets for a client for office storage. Then sunday hauled tractor and mower 22 miles to town and finished mowing down the grass that the hay crew didn't mow when I had the grass put into bales for our hay burners here at home. Also mowed down the road at my brothers place of 26 acres. Got about 3 acres done, so will try it again this coming weekend if the rain holds off.
    Also spending a lot of time on the net trying to watch for the next jorgy clamp sale thats supposed to be in October.
    Steve