Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New Garage/Workshop (Long)

Frank,

Great progress as usual. Your work pace is astonishing...!

If you are planning on using the attic space for long term storage I suggest you consider installing insulation between the rafters as well. You'd be amazed how much damage does occur to stuff stored in uninsulated space over long periods of time.

While you have the chance now's a good time to act on it - before it becomes difficult later on. My 2 cents worth... DAMHIKT

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    Another IT sawdust maker...go figure...
    Ditto. IT also, but not consulting, so I have to work regular days. But on the other hand, that means I get "regular nights" off, as well as all the other benefits of a regular salary position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stevens
    If you are planning on using the attic space for long term storage I suggest you consider installing insulation between the rafters as well. You'd be amazed how much damage does occur to stuff stored in uninsulated space over long periods of time.
    I was wondering the same thing. However, this would be a lot more work for Frank, and also cost more. There is more area to cover, so he'd need more insulation. He'd need continuous venting channels (insulation stops), and he'd need to put in a continous ridge vent also. Besides that... without mechanical ventilation, it is still going to cook up there in the summer.

Hmm, that reminds me. Frank, you put in radiant heating, which covers the winter. Are you putting in an A/C unit also, to give you relief during those hot and humid Chicago summers? (yes, Marty, I know that you laugh at our definition of "hot" and "humid"...)

best,
    ...art

Rich & Art - I planned on using a continuious ridge vent and using vents inside the frieze boards underneath the eves. I did this with my house as well, but added the Durovent baffles between the rafters and insulated the roof. As long as air can circulate in the attic during the Summer, I'm not sure I'm convinced that insulating between the rafters would be worth it. It's really just storage for raw materials, scraps, and seasonal stuff that's not of significant value.

I've considered some kind of cooling system for the Summer. Originally, I was just going to frame out a hole in one wall and install a window A/C unit, but then I learned about the mini-split systems, which look a lot more appealing. They're a bit on the costly side, so I will wait until next year to see if it gets unbearably hot in there before I take the plunge. I just need to make sure I can run the refrigerant lines from the blower to the condenser.

I run into quite a few "former-IT person turned woodworker" here and there. I'm not sure if there's an explanation for this crossover or if it's just coincidence. They both seem to be very detail-oriented professions, and for the most part, at least with those individuals that I've met, introverted. I've yet to meet a woodworker who became an IT professional. I can't imagine why .
    Last edited by Frank Snyder; 09-11-2006 at 12:30 AM.

Frank, as someone else alluded to, you and Marty are MACHINES!!! Great work, and you move fast for small operations. I'm impressed! Not really sure why I have missed this thread. I think I saw it. But reading at work, I get a 10 minute window then I'm cut off. I usually read 1 or 2 threads and post a short note, that is if I'm not interrupted with real work. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    I'll be watching your progress. Maybe I'll get TLOML's computer finished up today so I can get mine back. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I agree that insulation between the roof rafters is not going to buy you much. It takes time and money and the space isn't conditioned. I've seem some instances where folks stapled reflective material in that area to "bounce" heat back out, but don't know if it really works or not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I dream of the day when my routine is going to the shop 25 feet behind my back door to work all day. I tired quickly of the 30 mile drive to Dallas.

My apologies...the weather has not been cooperating as we've been getting rain storms for the past week and its been putting me behind schedule. Today was really the first day we've had with just a sprinkle of rain and then it cleared up and the sun came out to play. I spent most of the day sheathing the backside of the roof. I had started it yesterday in the rain, and in my haste, I lost track of my chalk lines (they tend to disappear in the rain) and by the end of the first course, I was off by about an inch. Whoah! So this morning, I spent a few hours pulling nails and removing the sheathing, only to start again with a fresh chalk line. This time, the first course came out perfectly straight. I should've called it a wash yesterday, spared myself the labor and stayed inside. Tomorrow is supposed to be clear (gee..where I have I heard THAT before?), so I should be able to finish off the sheathing barring any weather anomolies. It was dark by the time I wrapped things up this evening, so I didn't bother to take any pictures. I promise I'll get some posted after tomorrow.

Whew! Just about done with the roof sheathing. Man-handling these 5/8" plywood sheets up onto the rafters is a real workout. I should be able to finish tomorrow and then I need to prime and paint the barge rafters, and get them installed on Saturday. Once those are in, I can begin roofing...hopefully by Sunday if the weather cooperates.

I was originally planning on making the garage door, but time is getting away from me, so I decided to just order one. The fiber cement siding also arrives tomorrow morning.

I snapped some pictures this evening just before sundown. All of my rafter tails are in plane, though it may be hard to tell from these tiny photos. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

P1000672.jpgP1000673.jpgP1000676.jpgP1000674.jpgP1000675.jpg

Great job Frank. I've been commuting between your area and Florida weekly, our office is in Bloomingdale. The nice weather there has definitely been sporadic lately.

Keep up the good job.

Regards

Randy

Frank,

I went through your earlier postings and have worked out that its taken you only three weeks to get from the concrete floor to where you are now.

Tell me, are you on steroids ? Ha Ha Ha, Hmmmm

If it was me, I'd be still getting quotes for the concrete slab.

Rich
    Last edited by Rich Stevens; 08-31-2006 at 9:52 PM.

Frank,

Great job on the roof. Sorry to hear you had rip the first course out. (You need water proof chalk... )

Out of curiosity, how many sheets of 5/8 did it take to cover your project? I ask only because the 99 sheets it took to cover mine (and my fear of heights) is what made me sub my roof out. There's NO WAY I could have hauled all that up a ladder and still had energy to lay it down.

Also, you say you're fiber-cement siding arrives tomorrow. Are you using Hardi-Plank? That's what I originally planned to use, but the weight and need for painting and caulking has me looking into alternatives. I"ll be interested to see how it goes for you.

Keep up the great work...and good luck with better weather.
    - Marty -

Marty - I figured 40 sheets of 4x8 5/8" exterior rated plywood. I may need a few more sheets...we'll see tomorrow.

Yep, I went with HardiPlank and HardiShingle (for the gable walls). I got it primed and plan on painting it with SW Duration paint, so I only need to put ONE coat on .

Caulking is pretty much routine for everything exterior I've learned. I rigged up a pneumatic caulk gun with a regulator, so that should speed things up a bit. It was either Cedar siding and shingles (which I have on my house), or fiber cement. The latter was actually much less expensive and doesn't need the yearly maintenance that my cedar does (caulking joints, splitting, paint cracking, etc...). I'm not a fan of vinyl or aluminum, so those were my choices. I know fiber cement is really heavy, but it is really stable and withstands the elements much better than does wood.

Rich - 3 Weeks? That can't be right? Is that right? Let's see...the lumber got here August 11th...wow...that is right. It seems much, much longer, especially since last week was pretty much a wash with the weather.

Steroids? No...just a LOT of coffee and sugar. I also consume about 6 quarts of Gatorade a day when I'm working.

Randy - Thanks. Bloomingdale is just down the road from us (North Avenue). The weather last week was just plain weird.

Thanks again for the comments, I'll have more progress reports this weekend.
    Last edited by Frank Snyder; 09-09-2006 at 12:22 PM.

frank, you`re kickin` it in the butt! looking good....tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

The weather has once again taken control over my pace of this project...rain last night, today and predicted tomorrow as well.

I finished up the sheathing on Friday and spent the rest of the day running errands trying to find decent looking 2x10's for the barge rafters. The ones that I received with my lumber delivery had way too many knots and defects. My wife spent Saturday prepping the boards, priming and painting them. Its a lot easier to do this while they are on the ground rather than hanging in the air. She also spent most of yesterday priming and painting the rafter tails. This is a smart step to do now before the siding goes on...no drips to worry about.

My wife, brother-in-law and myself were able to get one up last night before the rain came. It's an akward process, with the weight of the 2x10 and trying to get it perfectly in position, marked, cut to fit, then placed into position again, clamped, then attached using 3-1/2" #10 exterior screws through the sheathing and into the ends of the lookouts. It took us well over an hour just to get the one side installed. I still need make the brackets which support these barge rafters and install them.

My wife also brought me home a personal fall arrestor system, complete with harness, a 30 ft. rope, a rope grab and anchor. I think this was a smart purchase on her behalf...especially since this 10/12 pitch roof is slick and its easy to lose your grip and slide off. I nailed down some 2x4 cleats with duplex 16d nails to give me additional footing while I hang the barge rafters.

My main proiority is to get the roof waterproofed ASAP, but I can't do that until these barge rafters are hung, then I can install the Ice & Water Shield, 30# tar paper, drip edge and flashing. I did this backwards when I replaced the barge rafters on my house and it was a real pain. I hate leaving the roof sheathing exposed like this while its raining, but I'm told that the exterior rated plywood can handle it (though the overhangs have warped quite a bit). Once I get the barge rafters hung, the plywood will straighten out.

Hopefully I will have the barge rafters hung by Wednesday and I can begin slapping down some shingles.

P1000677.jpgP1000679.jpgP1000678.jpg

Fantastic progress Frank, in spite of the rain. I know how you feel about wanting to get the roof finished and get the structure dried in. We're getting poured on daily now, but luckily the roof made it up before the storms started.

Good luck getting the shingles up...and make sure to use that fall arrestor. 10:12....yikes!!

- Marty -