Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay Back Time!

Pay Back Time!

Well over the last couple of weeks I have Posted Tutorial Threads on 4 different joints...
    1. Mitered Dovetails
    2. Wedged Flush Mortise and tenon
    3. Through Tenon with removable wedge or pin (Arts and Crafts)
    4. Half lap dovetail

It would be nice to see your joints Yeah try some practice joints and post them...with pics! And if they are not great....that is ok! That is where you are starting and you will surprise yourself in a short time with progress.... After going to the gym for several years one of the trainers,Russ came up to me and said, "Mark, Your looking great ....your weight is down and you are really fit" and I said "I got a long way to go to look like you"....Russ said "Don't compare yourself to me....compare yourself to you"....that makes a lot of sense! Whatever level of woodworking you are at, practice and applying good technique will show rapid improvement.....hand sawing and use of all hand tools...machine tools...like the bandsaw will improve....measuring, marking and fitting joints will really improve...so start! Show us some joints...
    Like taking piano lessons...you go home and practice and then you show your improvement at the next lesson...
    Then we can move on...Butterfly lock joint, Rule joint, spline joints..splayed chair mortise and tenons...tongue and rabbit...and more

What would be really nice is to see these joints in actual furniture tha people are making....joinery is the hallmark of fine furniture making and the pointers and little tricks in the tutorials will help and you will improve quickly....Joints Please!
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-09-2006 at 9:44 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I think I've got some DT pics from that cherry side table.....I'll look them up!

Mark,

I enjoy reading your tutorials on hand cutting joints. In fact you've inspired me to take a hand cut dovetail course in September! Now head over to the neander forum and help me pick a saw

I've got some time off coming up and I plan to put to test item #2 on your list.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Mark,
    I'm going to start a computer desk for LOML in a few weeks (as soons as I can get the temp shop up and running) and will be glad so show some of the joiner I will be using. It will be a good chance for me to have my work critiqued so I can continue to learn and grow my skills.

'Good thing Bob Marley isn't a member of SMC...
    ----

Seriously, if I get to do some of the anticipated projects I have on my list, I'll try to take care to post interesting joinery, especially if it's something new for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

7. Double haunched tenons...

Drawer dovetails...

Take care, Mike

Mike , nice work! Hand , machine or both?

9. Hi Mark, Thank you.

Most things I do I use both. I typically saw tenons and punch in mortises. Personal work I most often hand do everything but veneers.

The DTs were done via a WoodRat. Nealry all my commissions are done that way. Still have to glue up the doors for this credenza and saw the veneers for the drawer fronts.

The whole thing needs glued up, finish [a yucky, heavy near-black red] and then my last large commission is finished. Phew. Hard to balance time.

I also took some pictures of a Peruvian Walnut cabinet I am building my wife. It shows carcass DTs and the web frames are half-laped Lyptus. And just to prove how inconsistent I am--It's done via power mainly <g>.

Take care, Mike

OK you said good or bad. These are in between the two. (at least I think so). And of course I showed the best looking ones.

tool_tray.jpg

These are my ... well about my 6th set of dovetails. Not where I want them to be but I am improving and having fun making them! Just need more practice with the saw.

The tool tray is for my Inspection tools. It didn't turn out very well but it will work. Once it is finished it will get banged up so it's OK. It's different and always looking for something that makes me stand out to the clients.

saddle_joint.jpg

Wanted to try my hand at box making and decided to try a saddle joint as we talked about in another thread. Learning experience here but not to shabby. Still some gaps, goes back to learning to cut to the line with the saw! Still working on this one. Turned out a bit better than I expected for a first try.

And you can be honest.

Jeff,
    Those are good! And you have not cut many...so you will continue to improve....Advice don't "split" the line...stay on the waste side and things will tighten up then pare or rasp to fit...follow my threads ...that is excellent so far!

Hey Jim- you must be referring to the (regularly mentioned on SMC) "weed pots".

Where does that name come from anyway?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Y'all have seen these before, but I'll post them again, just in case. The first pic is a Box Joint from a table saw jig I made.

This is a double dovetail I did on my new Incra Pro II fence:

Here's the joinery on my first real project, and a pic of the whole bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Voytek, I really like that bench. Outstanding in it's joinery and simplicity. It looks great where it's located, too. Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...