Thread: Box Building

Question Box Building

I have to build 3 boxes that have inside dimensions of 12.254" long, 8.64" wide, and 1.512" deep. They have to be hinged on the left side and have a locking clasp on the right side. Basically it is a locking box that can hold a 8.5 x 11" book. The box will be very treasured to the guys owning them so I want them to look great.

My challenge is design. The inside dimensions have to be exact and the rest of the design is up to me. How would all of you design it? I thought that maybe I could do box joints in the corners or dovetails. How do I attach the top and bottom. I first thought that I would make a dado, but how nice is that going to look with the inset in the top? Please give me all the ideas you can so I can make the best boxes I can.

By the way I have to complete them by this weekend. Thanks in advance for all the ideas.

Ryan, how much tolerance can you have on those dimensions? Will the normal expansion and contraction of wood be a problem?

Perry

Tolerances

I think that I'm going to be ok with a 1/32 or so tolerance even a 16th, but I need to ensure that they are very close. If there is wood movement then there is wood movement

What if I just did a solid wood top. That would eliminate having to do a dado. I could just put the hinges on the solid piece of wood....????????hmmmm

I've built a couple boxes for heirloom books. After some research by one of my customers it was stated that basswood is the best lining for older books. Something to consider in the design. A nice basswood lining would allow you to mill the inside pieces and insert them later, making it easier to hit your tolerances. Hope this helps.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Blog Entries
    How about a box that looks like a book? Open the cover and inside . . . there's a book.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mock up.

I would make a down and dirty mock up out of a soft clear pine. I'd try different corner joints. Then I'd sit back and evaluate which way I wanted to go. With the time problem your finish will be limited to shellac or spray lacquer.

If these are antiquarian books that will be stored you might want to talk to an expert restorer/conservationist to see what he or she would recommend re finishes and linings. Normally the outgasing from most wood and finishes plays havoc with old paper.

Not Antiques

These boxes are for a ceremony that all new Chief's in the Navy have to go thru.

Ryan, The Chiefs are supposed to make their own boxes. That is part of the initiation process... Where has all the tradition n our military gone?!?

I'm making the box for me and my fellow selectees

Congrats on the selection. I still talk to one of my old chiefs every week. Best of luck.

1 1/2" deep doesn't leave much room for DT's of box joints. Might try splined mitre joints. They ar pretty strong. They're also quick. Dick B.