Thread: 1st Old Stanley/Bailey

1st Old Stanley/Bailey

I made a puchase on "the" auction site over the weekend , and it was nothing special other than:
    • I'm no longer an auction virgin ; and
    • I have a "rust bucket" project or two .

I bought a Stanley #4, which I was after. I selected this one because I want to rehab a "user", and it was being sold from my town...no shipping expense. I say "or two" because the seller threw in a no-name #5/jack.

I may have taken it in the shorts, but I got them both for $26. The #5 has given me that much entertainment so far trying to get it cleaned up. It was far enough gone that the steel and the polished part of the cast is pitted to some degree, but I may be able to make a "user" of it. Where appropriate, I'll probably even use metallic paint!

The Stanley is also rusty and I suspect pitted, but I haven't started on that one yet. I'm sure it'll be o.k. as a user, but I may not bring it to show and tell.

Wish me luck learning how to tune and use these things. When I get a better handle on that I'll go for some nice ones, I'm sure. Sorry, no pics (I know, didn't happen). Remember, these aren't for show...only tell.

Thanks for sticking with me so long over such a little thing.

Andy Haney
    Last edited by Andy Haney; 08-09-2006 at 10:29 PM.

WTG Andy. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Andy,

Have fun cleaning them up. I too made my first auction purchase a coulpe of weeks ago. I picked up a #5 type 11 for 20$. Turned out to be a pretty good deal. Blade was not in good shape but Tpopped another blade in and it works great.

I flattened the sole on some wet dry paper on glass, and used a buffing wheel and compound to shine up the casting and lever cap.

This was my second old user. I enjoy cleaning them up, and i like using something with so much history!

Jonathan

Andy, I started down the slippery slope with a #4 that I picked up at an auction. After some cleaning and tuning, I was surprised to see how well it worked. This got me fired up and now I can't say out of flea markets and such. I've found some deals and been burned some. 100+ planes of all sizes and types later it's still a thrill to make one work again. Have fun.

5. Howdy neighbor!

Hey Andy, we are practically neighbors, I live in Paxico and work in Topeka. If you need help with those planes, give me a shout.