Thread: BatteryRebuilders-good job & question

BatteryRebuilders-good job & question

There have been posts about batteries dieing and replacements costing more than a new drill. I have an older P-C 14.4 drill. The batteries were just tired, they wouldn't hold a charge for long and the drill lacked torque. I sent one to be rebuilt on a thursday. I got it back the next wednesday, shipped USPS both ways. I only live about 120 miles from them which probably helped.

I put the rebuilt battery on the charger for a couple hours, took it off and let it cool for a while. I tried a countersink in oak, fine torque. Tried a 1 1/2" forstner bit, still plenty of torque. The cost was was $36.63 plus shipping to there; return shipping is included. Cost varies with voltage, higher voltage=more cells=more cost.

Now for the question/opinion. When I put my nose close to the cooling vents, I smell a slight "electrical" odor.The brushes are not externally servicable. Is it worth having the second battery rebuilt, or is the drill headed to the great toolbox in the sky?

Thanks

Curt

Curt, I think all my drills (mostly Festool ones) smell like that if I put my nose to the vents...especially when they've been working hard and are getting hot!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Curt, I think all my drills (mostly Festool ones) smell like that if I put my nose to the vents...especially when they've been working hard and are getting hot!
    Thanks Chris. This 'un would only be suffering from chronological age, not hard livin'

Curt

Thanks for the great feedback! I think you should get the other battery rebuilt....

Jason, I take it you rebuit the battery? If so I was wondering do you advertise in the farm and dairy?

You are correct, I did the rebuild for Mr. Harms. What is the farm and dairy and is there somewhere I can view the advertising details?

Thanks,
    Jason