Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer Dust Hood

Planer Dust Hood

I have a 13" planer with no dust collection of any kind (it was a hand-me-down planer).
    What type of setup have people used to attach a dust collector to this type of planer?
    The planer manufacturer doesn't offer anything.
    thanks,
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    What make and model?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Its a Ryobi AP12 model.

12 5/16" width.
    I checked their web site and no luck on any dust collection accessories.

Jeff,

I used a HVAC register boot to form a new hood for my Ridgid planer. Ridgid does make a hood but it is not very good. Perhaps a trip to the HVAC supplier in your area might give you some ideas. Register boots come in all different sizes and configurations. Most are less than $10.

Hope that help,

t
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 08-11-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excellent idea, Terry.

I had a similar thought. I always saw the register boots in the BORG when I would buy my ducts and always had it in my mind that there should be something they could be used for in DC...and here you've done it...MAN I love this place.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

I had the same thought. I was at the local borg. I was looking at them because I need to change mine over to 6", Which I can't modify the existing one.

I used Terry's idea for my Delta 13" and it works great. I used a 6" line right to the planer.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    Jeff,

I used a HVAC register boot to form a new hood for my Ridgid planer. Ridgid does make a hood but it is not very good. Perhaps a trip to the HVAC supplier in your area might give you some ideas. Register boots come in all different sizes and configurations.
    Terry--that's a great looking hood. I have the same planer and am going to hook mine up the same way. What size register boot did you start with, and what were the basic steps in modification? I've been winging it with my DC so far (and it's working), but any guidance would get me up and running more quickly. Thanks.

Darl.

I started with a 2 1/4 X 14 X 6 offset boot. You need the offset so the outlet is positioned high enough that it does not interfere with the wood exiting the planer. I cut off most of the original plastic hood leaving just the rectangular portion that mounts to the planer. I trimmed the boot to fit over the remaining piece of the original and attached them together with short sheetmetal screws. You can see the screws under the tape in the pics. Seal it all up with some good HVAC mastic foil tape and reattach. I used some black duct tape to seal the hood to the planer itself. That way it's easier to get it off when needed. The HVAC mastic foil tape is just about permanent so don't put it on the hood to planer connection. The 6" hood powered a good cyclone will get nearly every single speck.

Hope that helps,

Terry

Forgot to say that there is one negative to this setup. It is loud. Especially if you have a good collector powering the system. That much air moving through the output slot in the planer head makes quite a bit of noise. Not that ear protection wasn't a good idea with a planer anyhow but it's mandatory now!!
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 08-11-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Terry, that sure does help. It takes most of the guesswork I was muddling through out of the picture. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren
    Terry, that sure does help. It takes most of the guesswork I was muddling through out of the picture. Thanks for the help!
    DArl,

Always glad to help how ever I can. Let me know what you think when you get your hood modified.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    IIRC, your right that there is no dust hood for that unit. Seems they got dinged for it in a mag review. I guess Ryobi assumes you'll be using it outside on a jobsite. Lunchbox planers aren't just for outdoors anymore, eh? Terry's got it going on for a good shop-made solution.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cord
    I have a 13" planer with no dust collection of any kind (it was a hand-me-down planer).
    What type of setup have people used to attach a dust collector to this type of planer?
    The planer manufacturer doesn't offer anything.
    thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff,

Head for the local Borg and get yourself an HVAC register that is just slightly wider than your planer. That is what I did for my old Inca planer back in '99. This use of HVAC ducts is how I helped Terry Hatfield go through his whole shop to get the hoods up from zero or poor "chip collection" to actually provide the coverage and 6" connections we need for good fine dust collection.

bill

Hi Jeff,

Here's another example for you but the basic gist is the same. Take an HVAC piece and adapt it to fit. I found mine at the local Borg, but if your Borg doesn't have enough variety, you can find a larger selection at a dedicated HVAC supplier.

Link to my old thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17628

Cheers,

Allan

Ridgid does make a hood but it is not very good.
    While your HVAC setup is great for another Planer, I would have to repute your statement on the Ridgid. I have a ridgid and it has enough force to blow up my 2 hp DC on its own , let alone how it collects dust when the DC is turned on. Perhaps you are stopped up or your DC isn't up to snuff.

Just my personal opinion. And support for the Ridgid.