Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusted TableSaw

Rusted TableSaw

Hey guys.
    I have a Craftsman TableSaw, been sittin in my basement for about 3 yrs unused. A large portion of the top is now rusted. What if anything can I do to clean it up? I am at work now, but over the weekend I'll try to get some pictures if that will help with a diagnosis.....

Rust Removal

I've been a member of the group for a month or so and this is my first post, I hope it's helpful

There is a product named Ospho which may not be available everywhere but where I live, SouthTexas Gulf Coast, is almost one of the basic food groups because of the rust problems we have. It is intended to be a rusty metal primer but if used correctly will remove rust better than anything else I've used. Cost is $20-$25 a gallon.

Spray or wipe the Ospho on and scrub it with a maroon pad, other colors don't work as well. After the rust is gone I wipe some WD-40 on to remove whatever Ospho may be left. Do NOT let it dry because it's really hard to remove. Obviously, it won't remove pitting.

[quote=William Addison]I've been a member of the group for a month or so and this is my first post, I hope it's helpful

There is a product named Ospho which may not be available everywhere but where I live, SouthTexas Gulf Coast, is almost one of the basic food groups because of the rust problems we have.

Never heard of it. Does it go by another brand name up here in the NorthEast?

FYI, check the reviews on the right.
    http://www.empiremfg.com/index.php

I went through the same exercise a few months back. I just used wet sandpaper starting at 120 grit, with WD40. It was stinky, but it worked very well. Took me a couple of hours to get all the rust off, and the saw looking like new.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    FYI, check the reviews on the right.
    http://www.empiremfg.com/index.php
    Ditto to what Scott recommended. I have had very good results with Empire Topsaver, even in a very humid climate. My experience is that the rust is easily gone. Although it leaves a smooth surface, it will not get rid of the residual stains within the cast iron. About as good as I have used, though.

Two Words "Navel Jelley"
    Avaible at fine harware stores and also the borgs.

By the way "Vin Cint" SMC TOU requires the use of real names (first and last) so if you PM Jackie Otten with your correct information I am sure she will be glad to update your profile.

welcome to the creek.

Scotch-brite pad on your palm sander and go to town!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Ospho

You should be able to locate a distributor at this link.

http://www.ospho.com/

I've tried everything on the market and Ospho is far and away the best.

Sanding seems to promote rusting because the scratches increase surface area.

I have restored a couple of old machines and I just take my random orbital sander to them. Just don't try to sand out any pits! Just go over the top and clean up the rust, sand it again and keep doing it till it looks good. I started with 80 grit and went to 180 or 220 I think. Works just fine. Then just wax the top with some Johnson's furniture wax or what ever your favorite finish is.

I'm with Jeff here. ROS 80 grit up to 180 or better, then some 400 grit wet-or-dry paper with mineral spirits. Clean it off and apply some wax. (not car wax)

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin Cent
    Never heard of it. Does it go by another brand name up here in the NorthEast?
    http://www.ospho.com/
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I live in Prattville, Al, the preferred Community
    I had my TS stored in my old shop for 5 1/2 years. Before I locked that shop up, I oiled the TS. In the five years it was stored it was ok, but, did have some minor rust.

After moving it to my newer home, I took and sanded it with wd40 and wet/dry sandpaper. I started with 180 and graduated to 1200grit,(wiping off between coats with denatured alchohol) using my ROS. I then cleaned it off with denatured Alchohol, and put two coats of Johnsons paste wax on it. I have two small stains on the TS that I was not able to get out. However, it is otherwise in great shape now.

BTW, it took me about 4 hours to complete the process.

I usually put a coat of wax on it about every month or so.. I do the same for my other cast tables. IE: BS and jointer.

Thank you to everyone that replied.
    I will give some combination of theese sugestions a try, once I have some time. Its gonna be a few weeks. Right now I have to spend some time getting the house ready to sell.

Hi Vincent:

Ospho (phosphoric acid) works great; wet/dry abrasives on a ROS with WD-40, kerosene, or other lubricant; some like razor blades with their WD-40.

Lots of choices. You might peek at the OWWM.com web site. These folks restore old machines for fun (and profit) and have many recipes for rust removal.

Welcome to the Creek, Tom, in Houston, using Ospho
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.